The following rules and regulations apply to all users of the Fitness Center.
General Rules and Regulations
- The Emerson One Fitness Center hours (By Reservation on Spacebook only, no walk-ins):
- Monday–Thursday: 8:00 am–8:00 pm
- Friday: 8:00 am–6:00 pm
- Saturday: 11:00 am–4:00 pm
- Sunday: 12:00 pm–5:00 pm
- All members are required to complete and sign a Membership Enrollment Form Online prior to using the Fitness Center. Access to the facility will not be permitted until the membership form is completed. No Guests are allowed. No Exceptions.
- Members must sign-in with their Emerson ID card upon entering the Fitness Center.
- Attire: Proper fitness attire is required. Street clothes (jeans, khakis, etc.) are not permitted. Shirts (t-shirts, sweatshirts, full length tank tops) and shoes (sneakers and shoes with non-marking soles) are required at all times in fitness areas. Sandals and flip-flops are not appropriate footwear. If you are not wearing the proper attire the staff has the right to refuse use of the facility until you have the proper attire. Attire should cover all areas of the back and mid-section that may come in contact with fitness equipment and be clean before use. This is for your protection and prevention of skin infections.
- Everyone is expected to practice proper Fitness Center etiquette.
- Returning all equipment to the proper location after each use (re-rack weights).
- Wiping down all the pads and surfaces that you come into contact with.
- Sharing equipment. If you are doing multiple sets, allow others to use the equipment in between your sets. No resting on equipment between sets. Adhere to the time limits on equipment set by the Fitness Center.
- Practicing personal hygiene by using deodorants and wearing clean workout clothes.
- Avoiding the Fitness Center if you are feeling ill or believe you have a contagious illness.
- Not using profanity, offensive language or shouting. If you refuse to adhere to this rule you will be asked to leave.
- Using the equipment properly. If you are unsure or need instruction, please contact a staff member.
- Not interrupting fitness center staff who are working one-on-one with a member or if they are instructing a class.
- Being on time for scheduled classes and check-in at the front desk.
- Exiting the fitness center at closing time.
- Personal Training and Fitness programs being instructed and conducted by anyone other than a Fitness Center Staff member is prohibited. Those not following this policy will be warned. Repeat offenders will be subject to possible loss of membership privileges.
- he fitness equipment should always be used properly as recommended by the manufacturer. Always leave the equipment in proper working condition. If you are unsure of how to use equipment please ask a fitness center employee.
- Free Lockers are for day-use only and are intended for use only while you are working out in the fitness center. Designated lockers may be rented on a first-come/first-serve basis, per semester. For more information on locker use, please see a Fitness Center staff member.
- Fitness Center employees are not responsible for personal property that is lost, stolen, or damaged due to vandalism or any other cause. You are encouraged to lock up all belongings in the free day use only lockers.
- No food and gum will be consumed in the Fitness Center other than locker rooms or designated eating areas. Beverages must be in spill-proof containers.
- Posted or regulated time limits for using the Fitness Center’s facilities and equipment will be respected. In periods of heavy use, you may be asked to limit your time in a particular area to allow other members an opportunity to use the facilities and equipment.
Weight Lifting and Exercise Equipment
- For safety reasons; bags, jackets, and coats are not allowed in the weight lifting or exercise equipment areas. All items should be placed in lockers.
- There is a maximum of 30 minutes per session on any cardiovascular equipment during peak hours. If you are doing multiple sets on the circuit machines during peak hours (7:00 am to 8:30 am, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, and 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm.) please be considerate and allow others to use the equipment between your sets.
- Each piece of equipment used must be wiped clean after use.
- Users must return bars/weights to their proper place/racks immediately after use.
- Weight belts are not allowed on exercise equipment if the belt buckle makes contact with the equipment upholstery.
- Keep hands and feet clear of moving parts while machine is in use. Never put hands or feet under weight stacks. Place hands and feet only on the hand grips and foot pads provided.
- Do not operate equipment if it has loose or damaged parts. Report repair needs to the staff. Do not make repairs yourself.
- Do not drop weight stacks, plates, dumbbells or other free weight equipment. Failure to do so will result in a warning. Repeat offenders will be asked to leave the fitness center for not complying with fitness center policies.
- Do not kick or punch the plyo boxes. Doing so will result in a suspension of your membership. The policy is as follows: 1st offense is a 1-week suspension, 2nd offense is a 1-month suspension, and a 3rd offense will result in a suspension for the remainder of the semester.
These rules and regulations are designed to make the Fitness Center a safe and enjoyable place for all members. Violations of these rules and regulations can result in suspension or termination of your Fitness Center membership. These rules and regulations may be modified or amended at any time without prior notice.
Emerson College Fitness Center: Emerson One Regulations
- The maximum occupancy of each Fitness Center floor has been decreased to accommodate Massachusetts fitness facility social distancing guidelines and City of Boston ordinances.
- The maximum number of people on each floor will be limited to 25 people at any given time.
- There will be no walk-ins permitted at the Fitness Center and use will only be permitted by reservation.
- Community members will be permitted to reserve 1-hour per day on either the 3rd or 4th floor.
- Reservations can be made on Spacebook only for a maximum of 3 days and minimum of 1 hour in advance
- When you arrive for your reservation you must check-in at the appropriate front desk to confirm your reservation
- All members of the Emerson community are required to wear face masks or cloth face covers in all public places while on campus or while engaging in College activities.
- All members of the Emerson community are expected to abide by all posted signage and guidelines within buildings and spaces.
- All attendees will be expected to clean the surfaces or equipment they interact with prior to leaving the space. Equipment should not be shared between individuals.
- You are required to follow Emerson College testing expectations and daily symptom tracking in order to use the Fitness Center.
- Failure to follow these expectations may result in limited access to on-campus buildings, and/or other restrictive measures.
- There are no guests allowed in the Fitness Center.
- Students will be held to the policies as outlined on the College’s Return to Campus Guide regarding Community Standards:
- If a student does not follow requirements, they will be subject to proceedings and sanctions by the Office of Community Standards.
- If a student declines to follow COVID-related policies including, but not limited to, wearing a face cover, social distancing, symptom tracking, and/or testing requirements, they will be subject to sanctions up to and including Suspension from Housing, Suspension from the College, or Separation from the College.
- Faculty and Staff will be held to the policies as outlined on the College’s Return to Campus Guide, as communicated by Human Resources, and as outlined by their respective departments. Not following these policies, offenders will be subject to loss of fitness center membership.
- Fitness Center Reservation Policies, Rules, and Regulations are subject to change without prior notice
Hours of Operation (By reservation on Spacebook only, no walk-ins):
Monday–Thursday: 8:00 am–8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am–6:00 pm
Saturday: 11:00 am–4:00 pm
Sunday: 12:00 pm–5:00 pm