Individual Career Advising
The Career Development Center can help you whether you are a recent graduate or you graduated many years ago. Our individual career advising appointments (in person or via phone or Skype) can be used for discussions on:
- career planning;
- career assessment;
- job transitions;
- résumé, cover letter, & CV writing;
- networking; and
- any other area that has to do with your professional development.
To schedule an appointment, register for an account on Handshake. Alumni accounts are activated within 1-2 business days.
Once your account has been approved on Handshake, you may sign in and select "Appointments" under the Career Center tab.
The specific link to schedule appointments is emerson.joinhandshake.com/appointments/new/
To better serve our current students, alumni who graduated more than a year out are limited to three appointments per calendar year.
Handshake is Emerson College's career portal, where alumni can find:
- job, volunteer, and internship opportunities (Note: While we have positions at all level, the majority tend to be for newer professionals);
- companies and organizations who have relationships with Emerson College and know the value of our students and alumni;
- schedules of career-related events on campus and register to attend; and
- career guides on industries, job search techniques, and other career development topics.
Visit Handshake to get started. Contact the Career Development Center at careers [at] emerson.edu (subject: LionHire) or 617-824-8586 if you have questions or need assistance.
Emersonians are known for supporting each other, so utilize those connections! Other alumni know and value the training that you got here, and those connections are a great way to find out more about areas you might be interested in. Some of the great ways to connect are:
Local Alumni Networks: Connecting with your fellow alumni at local events can be a great way to discover new opportunities in your area. Many chapters hold regular networking events. Check the Events Calendar for upcoming networking and professional development events in your area.
- Alumni Weekend: Every year, hundreds of alumni from all over return to campus to share stories, memories, and network! You never know who you'll meet!
- Other Alumni Events: Emersonians gather for many different reasons, whether for film festivals, fundraisers, or just to reunite. Check out the Events Calendar for what's coming up.
- Alumni Online Networking: There are many places where you can find other Emerson College alumni online. Check out the Emerson College Alumni Group on LinkedIn.
The Career Development Center has many mentoring programs that connect students and alumni.
Mentors volunteer to answer questions or to conduct informational interviews with current students and fellow alumni, to speak on panels, offer internship opportunities, or host site visits at their companies.