As announced on March 30, 2021 Emerson will hold two in-person Commencement Ceremonies at Fenway Park on Sunday May 2, 2021.
We will also premiere a fully produced online 2021 Commencement Ceremony on May 9 at 10 a.m. for graduates and families who cannot attend the in-person event. Similarly, the Class of 2020 Celebration site will be refreshed on Monday, May 3, with student speeches and awards, and a reading of the graduates' names to fully welcome them into the alumni community and kick off Emerson Week.
We are still refining the Fenway details and can confirm the following:
- The events will adhere to COVID-19 requirements determined by the City of Boston and Fenway Park. Masks will be required at all times in the park, and guests and graduates will need to attest to being symptom-free on the day of the event. More details on COVID-19 precautions and protocols will be shared leading up to the event.
- Graduates will be able to claim a ticket for themselves and up to two (2) guests. Each graduate and guest/s will sit together in a three-person pod that is socially distanced from other pods.
- Each pod will be assigned a specific arrival time of up to 90 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
- To support health, safety, and contact tracing, students and guests will not be permitted to mingle or otherwise explore the park, and once seated, should remain seated unless using the restroom.
- Due to restrictions at the ballpark and social distancing requirements, we regret that graduates will not be able to process, cross the stage, or shake hands with President Pelton or others.
- The in-person celebration will include live remarks from President Pelton and student speakers.
- Graduates will be recognized on the Jumbotron with a reading of their name and their slide (see below for more details on this). A reading of the graduates’ names will be featured in each celebration, in-person and online.
- We are planning to livestream the in-person events.
- The Fenway Park events will happen rain or shine. Guests are welcome to bring an umbrella in the event of rain.
- The health and safety of our community are of paramount importance. The City of Boston has the authority to cancel events at Fenway if COVID-19 conditions warrant.
Class of 2021 (December 2020, May 2021, August 2021)
- Ceremony seating begins at 8:30 a.m.
- Ceremony begins at 10:00 a.m.
- Ceremony ends at approximately 12:00 p.m.
Class of 2020 (December 2019, May 2020, August 2020)
- Ceremony seating begins at 2:30 p.m.
- Ceremony begins at 4:00 p.m.
- Ceremony ends at approximately 6:00 p.m.
Attending the Ceremony:
- Graduates must Register to Participate before April 11 at 11:59 p.m. to attend their ceremony and receive tickets. More information about tickets is available here.
- Regalia is not required, but may be purchased until Sunday, April 11. You may also purchase just a cap and 2021 or 2020 tassel, and/or a Class of 2021 or 2020 purple and gold face mask.
Graduating students will be recognized at the in-person and online ceremonies with a slide and a voiced announcement of their name. We can no longer accept new photos for the slides. Diploma name changes submitted to the Registrar after March 28 will not be reflected in the slides.
Please continue to visit emerson.edu/commencement for the latest updates and additional key information about commencement and check your Emerson email!
Intent to Graduate
All graduates must submit an Intent to Graduate form by the appropriate deadlines. A full graduation check list is below.