Based on care for the Emerson community and current public health and government guidance, all members of the Emerson community are required to wear face masks or cloth face covers. Face covers and/or masks must be worn in public places while on campus or engaging in College activities. Community members should have at least a week’s supply of reusable face covers (7–10) or a supply of disposable face masks. A week’s supply will reduce the need for daily laundering. Face covers must be:
- Laundered before first using and laundered before reusing.
- Worn for no more than one day at a time.
- Worn if there is more than one person in the room (except in your residence hall room).
- Worn on campus and when walking through an Emerson facility, including hallways, breakrooms, and common areas, as well as in any shared space.
Adjustments to the face cover requirements may be possible for those within our community who may be unable to wear a cloth face cover due to underlying medical conditions or trauma. This policy will remain in place as we continue to evaluate state and local guidance for any potential changes. Failure to comply with this policy could result in follow-up from the Office of Community Standards and in sanctions up to and including being asked to leave campus.
Places where face covers are required but are not limited to:
- Dining areas (in use)
- Laundry rooms
- Garages or parking lots
- Mailrooms and other indoor common areas
- Meeting rooms
- Study spaces
- Sidewalks—when unable to physically distance
We understand that there is a privilege in wearing a face cover and that there can be real fear and anxiety for people of color and other community members with multiple marginalized identities. If you feel that you are being targeted or harassed because you are wearing a face cover please contact your supervisor, a Residential Life staff member, the Social Justice Center, Emerson College Police Department at 617-824-8500, or the Office of Community Standards at communitystandards [at] emerson.edu as soon as possible.