U.S. Customs and Border Protection inspects all foreign national students, scholars, dependents and visitors to the U.S. arriving at an air, land or sea border and grants admission to the U.S. in an appropriate immigration classification status (including F-1, J-1, H-1B and other statuses). Admission to the U.S. in a specific immigration status is documented via an entry stamp in the passport as well as an electronic or paper I-94 Arrival Record. Electronic I-94 records can be downloaded and printed at: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94

Occasionally when entering the U.S., errors may occur on the passport stamp notation, electronic I-94 record, or paper I-94 card. These errors must be corrected to ensure that the status of the student, scholar, dependent or visitor is documented properly and that immigration benefits (such as permission to study or work) are correctly applied. 

There are two ways to correct an I-94 card/record or a passport stamp notation. If you need immediate assistance or if the error was made on your paper I-94 card or passport stamp, then you must go in person to the Deferred Inspection Office. However, if your passport notation is correct and the error was made to your electronic I-94 record, then you may be able to resolve this matter by email.


Method 1: Going in Person to the CBP Deferred Inspection Office

To correct an I-94 card/record or passport stamp in person, go to Logan International Airport - Terminal E and look for the Customs and Border Protection Office. The office is in the International Arrivals area, at the far end near the restrooms. There is a sign outside the office that reads “Customs and Border Protection Deferred Inspections.”  

Location & Phone

U.S. Customs and Border Protection 

Terminal E, Room 500 (Lower Level)

Logan International Airport

Boston, MA 02128 Hours: Monday-Friday

8:00 am–4:00 pm*


*Though the office is open from 8:00 am–4:00 pm, we would advise you to go early in the day – in the morning or early afternoon as the line for assistance can be long. The window for new customers usually closes at 3:45 pm.

Take all of your original immigration documentation with you to this office and explain why you believe there is an error on your I-94 card, I-94 electronic record, or passport admission stamp, and ask for their assistance in having the error corrected.

If you are seeking correction to the I-94 card/record, or passport stamp of your dependent spouse or child, then your dependent must accompany you to the Deferred Inspection Office. Your dependent must take all of their original immigration documents with them.

Method 2: Requesting an I-94 Correction By Email

Corrections to a paper I-94 card or passport stamp can only be done in person. Going to the CBP Deferred Inspection Office is also advisable for time-sensitive situations, as email requests are handled only after all in-person cases are resolved. 

However, if your passport admissions stamp is correct, and there is an error on your I-94 electronic record, you may be eligible to request a correction of your electronic I-94 via email by contacting: cbp.boston.i94 [at] cbp.dhs.gov

To request a correction to your I-94 electronic record, send a clear email request to Boston CBP explaining the situation and the correction that is being requested. You will receive a notification telling you that your correction has been made within a few days time. Electronic records can be verified at: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94 

Sample Email


To: cbp.boston.i94 [at] cbp.dhs.gov

Re: I-94 Correction / Passport # ___________________

Name: [enter full legal name as it appears in passport]

Country of Citizenship:

Date of Birth:

Passport Number:

SEVIS Number:

U.S. Visa Control Number:

Visa Expiration Date:

Class of Most Recent Admission:

Date of Last Arrival:

Port of Entry (Airport):


Dear Deferred Inspection:


I am requesting correction to my I-94 arrival record. I entered the US through [PORT OF ENTRY] on [DATE].




Please find attached the following documents in support of this request for your review:


• I-94 entry record showing my most recent admission

• Copy of my passport biographical page

• Copy of my visa stamp AND admission/entry stamp for last admission into the US

• Form I-20 / Form DS-2019 / Form I-797 (as applicable)


[For F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors, as well as F-2 and J-2 dependents] I request admission to the U.S. for “D/S” (duration of status).


[For visitors or others] I request admission to the U.S. until [applicable status end date].


Thank you for your time. Should further information be required, please contact Emerson College Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) at oisa [at] emerson.edu or 617-824-7858.



Your Name