Blueprinting Innovation: Sweden's Globally Influential Creative Economy
July 18–August 16, 2020
*Students should depart the US on July 17 to arrive in Stockholm the morning of July 18.
The creative industries are global in scope. Too often they are seen as a product of American companies such as Apple, Levi’s or Disney. This 4-week, 4-credit program will seek to engage students with world-class brands and businesses centered in the Nordic city of Stockholm, Sweden. Through company visits, guest lectures, and guided discussion, students will engage first-hand with key creative industries such as music streaming, fashion and design, and compare international business approaches to those in the United States.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Recommended for Business in Creative Enterprises majors, but open to all majors.
- Application Period: November 1, 2019–February 1, 2020
This program is offered for a total of 4 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in the following course:
- BC 320 - Topics in Business Enterprises: Blueprinting Innovation (4 credits)
- Learn how government funding of the technological and arts industries differ across countries.
- Visit the headquarters of internationally recognized companies such as Spotify, IKEA, H&M as well as local success stories HAHA Studio and Jascha Stockholm.
- Apply business concepts such as consumer behavior, marketing, analytics, design thinking, platform monetization, civic/business collaboration, sustainability, and corporate culture through team-based and individual projects and assignments.
- Take a day trip to picturesque Gothenburg, famous for its tree-lined streets, performance venues, and historic seaport.
- Live in the bustling downtown of Stockholm and make more than a few stops on its impeccably designed and photo-worthy subway.
- Visit Drottningholm Palace, an island home to the Swedish Royal Family.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: $7,995
Included in Program Fee
- Tuition (4 credits)
- Registration Fee
- Housing (shared apartment-style accommodation in central Stockholm)
- Airport pick-up
- Lunches during day-trips and farewell dinner
- Company visits and guest speakers
- Public transportation pass
- Weekend or day-trips to Gothenburg and Drottningholm Palace
Not Included in Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from Stockholm (Est. $900)
- Airport drop-off for return flight
- Most meals and incidental or personal expenses
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is.
For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.
Subject to change.