Paris: French Language & Global Communication
May 28–July 1, 2020
*Students should arrange to depart the US on May 27 to arrive in Paris on the morning of May 28.
Set in the exciting, cosmopolitan and historic city of Paris in the early summer, this 4-week program is designed to immerse students in French language and culture. Through classwork, walking tours, guest lectures and hands-on experiences, students will explore how France connects its past to present. In addition, they will practice intercultural communication skills and work to deepen their own cultural understanding.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Open to all majors and minors.
- CC 203 fulfills the Global Diversity requirement and LF101, LF102, LF 201, and LF 202 count toward the World Language requirement.
- Application Period: November 1, 2019–February 1, 2020
Total of 8 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in the following two courses:
- CC 203 - Intercultural Communication (4 credits)
- LF XXX - French Language (4 credits) Students will be enrolled in their appropriate level of French at the Sorbonne
- On weekday mornings, attend conversational French language courses (offered at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels) at the famous University of Sorbonne (no prior study of French language is required).
- Students will partake in weekly service-learning activities to engage with local Parisians.
- Two afternoons per week will be served for Global Communication and Cultural Immersion lectures and activities.
- Visit the Eiffel Tower, Musée de Louvre, stroll along the Champs-Élysées and explore the beautiful side streets of Paris.
- Enjoy a guided multi-cultural walking tour through the diverse districts of east Paris.
- Take a Paris tasting tour, sampling chocolate, cheese and baked goods along the way.
- Visit a Paris Mosque and meet with local practitioners.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: $10,500
Included in Program Fee
- Tuition (8 credits @ $800/credit)
- Registration Fee
- Airport pick-up at Paris CDG Airport
- Housing in shared apartment-style accommodations
- Walking and guided tours and excursions
- Local transportation pass
- Welcome and farewell meals
Not Included in Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from Paris (Est. $1,200)
- Airport drop-off for return flight
- International mobile phone service
- Most meals and incidental or personal expenses
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is.
For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.