Kasteel Well: Art into Film
May 15–June 22, 2020
*Students should arrange to depart the US on May 14 to arrive in the Netherlands on the morning of May 15.
This is a hands-on, intensive, introductory-level production class, instructing students of varying skill levels on how to research a topic, how to shape a narrative and structure a story on paper, in shooting and in the editing room. Using Kasteel Well’s unique location, we will study firsthand the various styles and schools of expression found in fine art by visiting several museums located throughout Europe, and particularly in the Dutch cities of Amsterdam, the Hague and Delft. We will address these fine art techniques and the artists who created them through our own nonfiction work. Instruction in digital production and post-production, will enable you to create a short form documentary highlighting an influential work, artist or movement and illustrate how their technique of expression is still influential in modern motion arts. These short form documentaries may adopt a historical, analytical, educational or artistic mode to clearly communicate the impact these fine art pieces have had on you, and on the world in general.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Recommended for Visual & Media Arts students.
- Limited to 16 students.
- Application Period: November 1, 2019 - February 1, 2020
Total of 8 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in the following two courses:
- VM 204 - Topics in Media Arts: Art of Documentary (4 credits)
- VM 300 - Topics in Visual & Media Arts: Art Into Film (4 credits)
- Research a topic and shape a narrative and structure a story on paper, in shooting, and in the editing room.
- Explore the various styles and schools of expression found in fine art by visiting several museums throughout Europe.
- Dive deep into topics such as forced perspective, implied movement, illusion of sound, depth of field, color schemes, and the effects that light, hue and saturation have on the eye of the viewer.
- Make distinct parallels between still art forms and motion arts, and how one informs and/or inspires the other.
- Enjoy an excursion to Amsterdam and explore its famous museums, canals and squares.
- Explore The Hague, the Dutch capital and a major center of European government and foreign affairs.
- Visit Eindoven, known as the Dutch technology and design hub.
- Embark on an excursion to Berlin, Germany, a thriving, artistic city with a turbulent, historic past.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: $6,950
Included in Program Fee
- Tuition (8 credits @ $800/credit)
- Registration Fee
- Housing at Kasteel Well and on excursion
- Some meals
Not Included in Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from the Netherlands (Est. $1,300)
- Most meals and incidental or personal expenses
- Course materials
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is. For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.