2016 Emerson Film Festival and LA Showcase
The Emerson College Film Festival
We will be screening three programs (60-90 minutes each) of student shorts in the Bright Screening Room on a Sunday in March followed by a red carpet reception open to the public in the Jackie Liebergott Black Box Theater where we will announce the winner of the audience award. These films will be selected by VMA faculty and the director of programming.
The Audience Award
We are offering a $1,000 cash award and a trip to LA in the fall of 2016 for the LA Showcase repeat screening for the film that garners the highest rating from the audience. Like most festivals, there will be ballots at each screening where anyone in the audience can rate a film from 1 to 5. They will need to stay for the whole program in order to vote, but won't need to go to all three screening sessions. All selected films will be coached on audience building strategies.
The LA Showcase
A "best of" screening occurs in LA in October, where there will be additional cash prizes. These films will be selected by a committee of faculty, staff and alumni. These filmmakers will also receive a trip to LA in the fall of 2016 for the LA Showcase screening. There will be a two-day program of events and meetings planned for all the participants.
See more information about the LA Showcase »
The Emerson Film Festival will take place in March of 2016.
- Be sure to read the Median Upload Guide to properly compress and upload your video into Median.
- Projects must be uploaded into Median.
- Works-in-progress will be considered, provided they are at picture lock and will be completed prior to the festival.
- Project must be initiated as an Emerson College student project (either in a class or co-curricular).
- Works must be under 30 minutes and completed after December 2014 while a student at Emerson College.
- All genres welcome! Send us your animation, music videos, documentaries, dramas, experimental work, comedies, science fiction and horror!
- No limit on the number of submissions.
- Entries must be received no later than Friday, December 11, 2015 at Midnight. SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
- Selection for the festival will be made by the Festival Committee comprised of Emerson faculty, staff, and alumni.
- Selection to the festival will allow Emerson College to broadcast work on Emerson College cable station and at alumni events as well as to reproduce on DVD for promotional/non-commercial purposes. A selection will also need to be made available for posting on the official college YouTube site and the VMA student gallery for promotional/non-commercial purposes.