Policy Statement and Reason
For the purpose of this policy, employees are faculty and staff unless otherwise indicated in the sections below. All provisions of this policy apply, except that for employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement, this policy does not create any benefits not expressly provided by that collective bargaining agreement and if there are inconsistencies between this policy and the collective bargaining agreement, the terms of the collective bargaining agreement will govern.
Employees are encouraged to exercise their civic responsibilities, including their right to vote on an election day. In circumstances where an employee’s work schedule does not provide sufficient time to vote on national and statewide election days for government offices, the College will provide up to two (2) hours of paid time off for employees to vote.
Regular full-time, regular part-time, and part-time and temporary employees are immediately eligible for Voting Leave.
Employees requiring time off to vote must request this time through their supervisors at least two (2) business days in advance of taking Voting. The College expects employees to demonstrate professionalism by working with their supervisors to schedule voting leave when it is least disruptive to the department.
- National and Statewide Government Elections: The College will provide up to two (2) hours of paid time off for employees to vote in national government elections.
- Local Government Elections: Employees must use personal or vacation time, take the time without pay, or work out a schedule change with their supervisors for local government elections.
Use of Personal and Vacation Time
- Non-Exempt Staff: The College provides non-exempt employees with up to two (2) hours of paid time off for Voting Leave. Personal and/or vacation time must be used by non-exempt employees to cover any time beyond two (2) hours.
- Exempt Staff: The College provides exempt employees with up to two (2) hours of paid time off for Voting Leave. Exempt staff employees are paid a salary and receive the same amount of pay every pay period, regardless of how many hours they work. They do not receive overtime pay. When not working for more than half a day, exempt staff employees must use available personal time and/or vacation time.
- Faculty Employees: For foreseeable absences, Faculty must provide the Chair with advanced written notice and must receive prior approval when absent for more than two sessions or when a weekly class is missed more than once in order to coordinate coverage or makeup sessions. In the case of unreported and/or excessive absences, the Chair notifies the Dean.
Key Offices to Contact
Please contact Human Resources for further information regarding this policy and its implementation.
Links to Procedures or Forms
The contents of this policy are informational only and are not conditions of employment. This policy does not create any contractual obligations or alter the at-will employment of the College’s at-will employees. Emerson College reserves the right to modify, revoke, suspend, terminate, or change any and all policies and procedures at any time, with or without notice, as consistent with state and federal law.
Policy Effective Date: May 2019