Policy Statement and Reason
For the purpose of this policy, employees include Massachusetts staff only. All provisions of this policy apply, except that for employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement, this policy does not create any benefits not expressly provided by that collective bargaining agreement and if there are inconsistencies between this policy and the collective bargaining agreement, the terms of the collective bargaining agreement will govern.
Emerson College provides paid annual holidays to eligible staff employees so they may celebrate holidays with family and friends. Recognizing the diversity of Emerson staff employees, the College also provides eligible staff employees with personal and vacation time to use for religious and cultural holidays of their choosing. Staff employees are expected and trusted to use discretion, good judgment and to demonstrate a professional work ethic in their use of sick time before weekends, regularly scheduled days off, vacations, and holidays.
Regular full-time and part-time staff employees working 20 hours or more a week are immediately eligible to take holidays off with holiday pay as outlined in this policy.
Designated Paid Holidays
The College reviews holidays annually and determines the number of holidays the College will observe. Emerson College generally observes the following holidays (the asterisk indicates major holidays; no asterisk indicates college holidays).
- New Year’s Day*
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day*
- President's Day*
- Patriots Day (starting 2020) (MA only)
- Memorial Day*
- Independence Day*
- Labor Day*
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day*
- Veterans Day*
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day*
Note: Please see Winter Break Policy
Holidays falling on Saturday will be observed on the preceding Friday. Holidays falling on Sunday will be observed on the following Monday.
Holiday Pay Approval and Exclusions
- Holidays are prorated for part-time eligible employees.
- Staff employees will receive observed holiday pay (see below) when the observed holiday falls on a day the employee is regularly scheduled to work, are in active status, and paid by the college when the observed holiday occurs. The time is counted as holiday time only.
- Staff employees will receive observed holiday pay (see below) when they are on approved, extended vacation time and/or personal time that corresponds with days they would have otherwise received observed holiday pay. The time is counted as holiday time only.
- Staff employees will receive holiday pay only when they are on a Human Resources approved extended leave of absence from the College and an observed holiday falls during the period in which they are being paid sick time, personal time, vacation time and/or STD or Parental Pay. The time is counted as holiday time only and will be paid at employees’ leave of absence rate in effect at the time.
- When staff employees are scheduled to work both the observed holiday and actual holiday, the College pays Holiday Premium Pay on the actual holiday or the observed holiday, but not both.
- Employees who are scheduled to work observed holidays and call in absent, whether using sick, personal or vacation time, will receive sick, personal or vacation time only. They will not be paid for the holiday.
- Employees’ last day of employment cannot fall on a holiday.
Holiday Pay Calculations for Non-Exempt Staff Employees
Working on Major Holidays (Observed)
Full-time and part-time non-exempt staff employees (working 20 hours or more per week) who are approved and work on an observed major holiday are paid their straight time in addition to the premium rate of one and one-half (1.5) times their regular straight-time rate for the number of hours worked on the major holiday, 2.5 times pay.
Working on College Holidays (Observed)
Full-time and part-time non-exempt staff employees (working 20 hours or more per week) who are approved and work on a college holiday are paid their regular straight time and a premium rate of one (1) times their regular straight-time rate for the number of hours worked on the college holiday, 2 times pay.
Hours paid at the premium holiday rate do not count toward overtime.
Working on Actual Holidays (Not Observed)
Employees are paid straight time when scheduled to work an actual holiday that is not observed by the College.
Key Offices to Contact
Please contact Human Resources for further information regarding this policy and its implementation.
Links to Procedures or Forms