Meet Your Admission Counselor
|Start Term||Priority Decision*||Rolling Admission Through|
|Fall Term||February 1||April 1|
*Priority Decision Advantages: priority review for admission, first consideration for scholarships and earlier receipt of an admissions decision.
For official term start dates please review our Academic Calendar.
- Online application
- After submitting your application, you will receive an email with your Admission ID. Please use your username and password to log in and check the status of your application.
- Official Transcripts
- Official transcript requirements
- 3 letters of recommendation
- From persons best able to assess academic and professional qualifications, including motivations and goals.
- Admission Essay: 3 pages, double-spaced (750 words). Please write an essay that addresses the following points. We are looking for a cohesive essay that helps us understand you and your goals as a writer.
- Why are you interested in an MFA degree in Writing for Film and Television?
- How do you expect an MFA degree to advance your writing goals and interests?
- What genres do you like to work in, and from where do you draw creative influences?
- What experience do you have working and/or learning independently?
- Writing Sample: Choose one of the following writing samples to submit.
- Screenwriting: 15 pages maximum of screenwriting. This can include short screenplays or an excerpt from a longer film or television script. Script samples must be accompanied by loglines.
- Dramatic Writing: 15 pages maximum of novel excerpts, short stories, plays, or chapters of fiction or creative nonfiction writing. Please double-space any prose writing.
- Combination of Screenwriting and Dramatic Writing: 15 pages maximum, combining any of the above writing forms. Please double-space any prose writing.
- Include your professional and educational history.
- English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or Pearson test results.
- Emerson College cannot accept applications from international students for the low-residency program at this time, as the College is not able to issue I-20s appropriate for participation in this program.
Request More Information