Meet Your Admission Counselor
|Start Term||Priority Decision*||Rolling Admission Through|
|Spring Term||November 1*||December 1|
|Summer||February 1*||May 1|
|Fall Term||March 1*||June 1|
*Priority Decision Advantages: priority review for admission, first consideration for scholarships, and earlier receipt of an admissions decision.
For official term start dates please review our Academic Calendar.
- Online Application
- After submitting your application, you will receive an email with your Admission ID. Please use your username and password to log in and check the status of your application.
- Official Transcripts
- Official transcript requirements
- 2 letters of recommendation
- From persons best able to assess academic and professional qualifications, including motivations and goals.
- Admission Essay: 2 pages, double-spaced (500 words). There is one required essay for this program, which can be submitted online with your application. The prompt for the 2021 application is:
- We designed the MFA in Popular Fiction for writers who want, first and foremost, to write and publish genre fiction. How would this program help you achieve your goals in this area? What strengths and abilities would you bring to the program and to the larger genre community of your choice?
- Writing Sample
- You are required to submit a maximum of 15 pages (double spaced) of fiction in your preferred genre. Poetry, nonfiction, and screenplays or other dramatic scripts are not accepted. Send us the work you believe best represents your talent, skill and potential. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be clear, compelling and completely your own. Please, no work that has been co-written. Please make sure your writing sample is formatted according to industry standards. You can find the proper formatting here.
- Include your professional and educational history.
- English Proficiency: Applicants whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or Pearson test results.
- Due to the online nature of the program, we are not able to offer I-20s to international students to come to the United States. International students may participate in the program from their home country.
- International Student Checklist