Key Due Dates
The Mann Stearns Award must be utilized between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022. The application and selection period is as follows:
- Pre-Approval due: March 15, 2021
- Final Applications due to ORCS: April 12, 2021
Please submit your Internal Funding Proposal - Pre-Approval Form to the Office of Research and Creative Scholarship by March 15, 2021. For information and instructions on ORCS’s K2-based pre-approval form, please click here.
While restrictions continue for on-campus and in-person activities due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Emerson College remains committed to supporting faculty research, scholarship, and creative work through its internal grant programs. Nonetheless, applicants are reminded that the College can make no guarantees about providing extensions if an award is not fully utilized by the project cycle end date (June 30, 2022). Proposals should thus be carefully considered in light of current restrictions in planned destinations.
Several years ago, the late Dr. Norman Stearns and Irma Mann Stearns established a distinguished faculty award in their name to honor a full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty member in recognition of outstanding scholarly or creative achievement. A $3,000 award is presented annually to one applicant. This funding may be used to enhance an ongoing project or for the development of a new scholarly or creative endeavor. Travel is strongly encouraged to be a part of the project activity.
Full-time tenured and tenure-track faculty members are eligible to apply for the Mann Stearns Distinguished Faculty Award.
In evaluating proposals, the committee will consider:
- The applicant’s scholarly or creative achievement(s);
- The quality, merits, feasibility, of the project for which the award funds will be used;
- The inclusion of travel as a necessary component of the project; and
- Publications, DVDs, or other supporting material.
All applications will be reviewed by the Faculty Development and Research Council (FDRC), and with input from department Chairs, school Deans, and Academic Affairs. Applicants must complete and submit a pre-approval form before the application deadline in order to identify and define the proposal’s potential impact on College resources. The FDRC will make the final recommendations to the Provost for funding.
|March 15, 2021||Internal Pre-Approval Form due to ORCS|
|April 12, 2021||Application forms due to orcs [at] emerson.edu|
|By May 7, 2021||Award will be announced|
|July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022||Grant Period|
|June 15, 2022||Receipts for expenditures needing reimbursement must be submitted via Workday by this date|
- Upon acceptance of the pre-approval form, ORCS will email applicants the Mann Stearns application form
- Applicants should fill out the application, save it, and email it back to orcs [at] emerson.edu
- Applicants may include supplemental materials (publications, PDFs, media) that support their proposals with their submissions
- In addition to the application form and supplemental materials, a curriculum vita should be included with each submission
A final written report is not required, but the successful applicant is expected to meet with members of the Mann Stearns family and other members of Emerson College to discuss the final outcome and deliverables.