Center for Health & Wellness
What is CHOICES?
CHOICES is a two-hour, interactive journaling and discussion-based course for Emerson college students who have been referred for alcohol education as a result of a conduct/policy violation. The course is based on a peer-to-peer model, and is co-facilitated by two Emerson College student peer facilitators.
The goal of the program is to assist students in understanding the risks associated with alcohol consumption and the impact alcohol can have on their college experience, and to allow students to consider various strategies for making safer choices regarding alcohol consumption.
The CHOICES program is presented in a non-confrontational manner that enables students to draw their own conclusions.
How do I sign up for a CHOICES class?
There are several sessions of CHOICES offered each semester. To attend a CHOICES class:
- Choose a date/time that works with your schedule.
- Complete the online registration form at least 24 hours in advance of the first session.
- If you miss a CHOICES class that you have already registered for, re-register for a new class and then email the Coordinator of Wellness Education to inform the Coordinator as to why you missed the class and what class you reregistered for.
Class times/dates for Spring 2013
|Wednesday 4/10/2013||7:00–9:00 pm||216 Tremont St. (6th Floor) Career Services Conf Room|
|Sunday 4/21/2013||1:00-3:00 pm||Piano Row-Room L151|
|Wednesday 4/12/2013||7:00–9:00 pm||216 Tremont St. (6th Floor) Career Services Conf Room|
You should not miss a regularly scheduled class to attend CHOICES.
*Note: Because classes require group participation, group size must be capped. If the class you have registered for has reached its participant limit, you will be notified by the Center for Health & Wellness at least 24 hours in advance.
What else do I need to know?
- All students are required to bring their Emerson IDs to confirm attendance.
- Anyone coming to the program under the influence of alcohol or other drugs will forfeit his/her right to participate.
- All participants must be on time. If a participant does not attend the entire program, he/she receives no credit for completion.
- All participants must actively, positively participate in the session, follow instructions, complete evaluations and exercises, and maintain a high level of involvement. Anyone who disrupts or displays inappropriate conduct will be asked to leave and will forfeit credit for participation.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, all participants are requested to maintain confidentiality among the group's members. Students will be sharing their thoughts and experiences, and students should respect the privacy of their peers and not share this information.
How will my resident director or the conduct coordinator know when I have completed CHOICES?
You will sign in with your student ID. After the class ends, the list of students who completed the course will be sent to the RDs and the conduct coordinator as proof that you fulfilled this requirement.
Location: 216 Tremont Street, Third Floor, Room 303
Center for Health and Wellness
120 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
hours of operation
During the school year:
Monday: 9 am–12 pm, 1–5 pm
Tuesday: 9 am–12 pm, 1–8 pm
Wednesday: 1–8 pm
Thursday & Friday: 9 am–
12 pm, 1–5 pm
Saturday & Sunday: CLOSED