The Emerson College Police Department operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. ECPD officers are sworn in as both Massachusetts Special State Police Officers and Suffolk County Deputy Sheriffs. These police powers allow Emerson police officers full police authority on property used, owned, or occupied by Emerson College. These police powers also expand officers' jurisdiction to maintain the security of College property and advance the safety and well-being of members of the Emerson College community. Emerson College police officers are here for your safety and assistance. Please respect them as individuals and cooperate with them in the performance of their duties. This will make Emerson College a more secure environment for all of us. Please feel free to stop by and visit the ECPD for more information.
Our mission is to provide professional, dependable, quality public safety and police services using proactive and innovative programs to enlist the trust of the Emerson College Community while supporting the College’s Core Values.
The Emerson College Police Department strives to be a leader in the college policing field providing a safe learning environment to the Emerson College Community.
Emerson College Police Department believes in the “Community Policing” model of policing. This philosophy guides our management style and operational strategies. ECPD’s Community Policing philosophy emphasizes the establishment of ECPD-community partnerships and a problem-solving approach that is responsive to the needs of the Emerson community.
The major objectives and goals of ECPD’s Community Policing Model are:
- To be service-oriented and develop services that are community-oriented;
- To develop partnerships and improve ties to the Emerson community;
- To be a problem solver, and improve ECPD’s responsiveness to the Emerson community;
- To empower the Emerson community, and assist the community in identifying issues/problems and prioritizing their needs, and
- To be accountable to the Emerson community and to also get a commitment from the community to promote personal safety.