Off-Campus Student Services


The landlord will usually specify which utilities will be covered in the lease. Utilities such as hot water, gas, and electricity are sometimes—though not always—covered as part of your rent. If you're not sure, ask your landlord, so you will know which utility accounts to set up for yourself. For telephone, gas, and electricity in the Boston area, you may contact these providers:

Telephone Service

Verizon New England
185 Franklin Street, Boston, MA 02107

When you call to arrange service, provide the complete street address for the rental unit and the name and telephone number of the previous occupant at your new address, or the name and phone number of the nearest Bell Atlantic customer. You will be asked to choose the type of monthly service you want, as well as a primary long-distance company. Consider listing only your first initial and last name in the telephone directory, especially if you are a woman living alone.

Gas Service

201 Rivermoor Street, West Roxbury, MA 02132

When you call to arrange for service, provide your Social Security number, the address and telephone number of the rental unit, the name of your employer or status as a student, and your landlord's name and address. You will also need to arrange a time when you can meet someone at the unit to turn on the gas.


800 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02199

If this is the first time you have established an account or it has been longer than four months since you closed a previous account, you may need to apply for service in person. You will need photo ID with your Social Security number, as well as a copy of your lease or rental agreement. You must apply for service at least four days before you want the service to begin. If it has been fewer than four months since you closed a prior account with NStar, you may establish your new service by telephone.