Most graduate students have two major needs when considering finance options for a college education:
- Obtaining manageable monthly payments.
- Minimizing the total cost of education.
To meet both of these goals, we recommend the following:
- Reduce your need to borrow by paying as much as you can directly to Emerson College or through the Tuition Payment Plan administered by Sallie Mae.
- Investigate the terms of available loan programs if you decide to borrow.
- Begin with an equal combination of loan and payment plan options to meet the financed amount.
- Determine what you can afford. If you can pay more monthly, increase your amount in the Tuition Payment Plan administered by Sallie Mae. If you need smaller monthly payments, increase the amount of the loan(s).
Types of Loans
If you need to borrow, learn more about all available loan types:
Federal Direct Loans
To assist students and their family in obtaining federal loans, Emerson College is switching to the Federal Direct Loan Program beginning in the 2010–2011 academic year. For further information about the Federal Direct Loan Program and what this switch means for you, read our Direct Lending FAQs.
For information and assistance on loan repayment, read our Loan Repayment fact sheet.