- Durable luggage is a must
- Prescription medications to last you for your stay—be sure to pack them in your carry-on luggage.
- Over-the-counter medications and antibiotics including: cold remedies, pain reliever, antibiotics, anti-fungal, anti-histamines, stomach upset remedies, diarrhea medicine, ibuprofen, bandages, Neosporin, etc.
- Hand sanitizer
- Travel packets of tissue; you should carry a pack with you at all times! Public toilet facilities do not have toilet paper.
- A couple of pairs of comfortable and sturdy walking shoes. Note: if you have large feet, you may have a hard time buying shoes in Beijing.
- A money belt or passport holder that can store your valuables when traveling
- 500 - 1000 RMB in cash transport and arrival at the airport
- Address and phone number for CUC International Student Office
- Original software disks for your computer
- A battery–operated alarm clock with extra batteries
- A power converter and adaptor plugs (China's system is 220 volts)
- A memory stick or flash drive for your computer
- An Ethernet cable
- Cloth surgical masks - If you have asthma-related breathing problems, note that air pollution in Beijing is consistently listed among the worst in the world by international organizations such as the United Nations. The American Embassy in Beijing has a twitter feed giving air quality levels.
For women: sanitary pads and tampons
Contact lens solution and cleaner