Performing Arts: DVD Auditions
Although we strongly recommend scheduling a live audition if possible, the Department of Performing Arts does accept DVD auditions in lieu of live auditions from applicants living outside of the contiguous 48 United States.
How To Submit Your DVD Audition
- You must apply to Emerson College by submitting the Common Application, Emerson College Supplement, and application fee. Within 3-4 days of receiving your application, the Office of Undergraduate Admission will email your Emerson ID to the email account that you provided on your application. Although transcripts, recommendations, and test scores are a required part of the application due at the application deadline, they are not required to prompt the emailing of your Emerson ID. Once you receive your Emerson College ID, log in to the Emerson Application Portal, click on the StageDoor link, and upload your resume. Ignore the section about scheduling an audition. If you have questions regarding your Emerson ID or logging in to the Emerson Application Portal, please contact Undergraduate Admission at email@example.com or 617-824-8600.
- Preview the Artistic Review Requirements by major. Record two monologues from contemporary plays that are no more than two minutes each. Please note that for live auditions we require one monologue and for video auditions we require two. If you have questions regarding the Department of Performing Arts or the Artistic Reviews, please contact the Department of Performing Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-824-8780.
- Musical Theatre applicants should also videotape 32 bars each from two contrasting musical theatre songs of your choice. The dance portion of the audition video should be 5-10 minutes in length. It should show you demonstrating technique in ballet, modern dance or jazz. The video should offer a representation of barre exercises or warm-up, center work, and traveling exercises. You may include a dance selection at the end of the video if you have some samples of performances. Be sure to identify yourself if there are several performers.
- You must use a DVD in the “All Region” or “Region 1” format. Please label both the dvd and the box with your name and the selections you will be doing, including character, title of play and author. Before submitting the dvd we recommend viewing it to make sure that the technical quality is satisfactory – the recording should not be “produced” but adequate light and clear sound are essential. We would like to see at least three-quarters of your body as you work; close-ups are not recommended.
Please use a mail service that provides you with a tracking number (such as Federal Express) and mail your DVD to the Department of Performing Arts:
Eric Weiss, Performing Arts Admission Coordinator
Department of Performing Arts
120 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116-4624
Videotapes must be received by:
- Early Action: December 3, 2012
- Regular Action: February 20, 2013
- Transfer Applicants: April 10, 2013
- Once Performing Arts has received your DVD audition you will receive an automated email confirmation that you have been “scheduled” into an audition (specific date and time) entitled “Emerson College Videotaped Auditions.” This audition time is a placeholder audition and is done to ensure that your application is not regarded as incomplete in your application checklist.