Undergraduate Admission

Spring International Timeline

Now that you've submitted your Enrollment Deposit, here's what to expect.

Create your ECnet Account

Once you have submitted your enrollment deposit, you’ll receive an email inviting you to sign up for an ECnet account. Please do so as soon as possible.

Watch for updates

Your ECmail account is the primary way in which Emerson College will communicate with you. We recommend you check it regularly.

Log in to ECmail »

Obtaining Your I-20 Form for a Student Visa


The Financial Documents deadline is November 8 for spring applicants. Follow these steps to obtain your I-20:

  • Submit documentation. This includes the following:
    • Enrollment Deposit
    • International Student Contact Form (PDF)
      This form provides information necessary for your I-20 Form (immigration document).
    • Bank Document (Sample PDF)
      Please provide us with a bank document that meets the following criteria:
      • In English
      • In U.S. Dollars
      • An original copy
      • Showing a minimum of US $50,000
      • Signed by a bank official
      • Issued within 12 months of the start date of your program. (Please note that the funds must be liquid: real estate and forms of property are not acceptable forms of documentation.) Please view our Financial Documentation guidelines PDF »
    • Letter of Sponsorship (PDF)
      If your official bank letter represents finances of someone other than you, you must include this letter of sponsorship. Make sure your financial sponsor signs and dates the letter.
    • Passport Photocopy
      Please submit a copy of the biographical/identification page of your passport. This is the page that shows your photo, your date of birth, passport number, date that the passport was issued, expiration date, and country of citizenship.
  • Emerson does not process an I-20 until we receive a tuition deposit. We typically process I-20s for the spring term as soon as you deposit.
  • Once you receive your I-20 and SEVIS information, you must pay the SEVIS fee. More information »
  • You must contact your nearest consulate or embassy to schedule an interview. More information on visa wait times in your home country.
  • Here are 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa.

Please send the above I-20 supporting documents to the Office of Admission via email at admission@emerson.edu or fax at 617-824-8609.

International Transfer Students

For students attending colleges and universities within the United States, please look over the procedures for maintaining your F-1 visa status.

You must also submit one copy of each form from below:

  • Current F-1 student visa
  • Form I-94 arrival/departure record (the small white card stapled into your passport)
  • Previous Form I-20
  • Transfer Verification Form

Sign Up for Housing

Deadline: December 16

After submitting your Enrollment Deposit, visit eCommon and log in using your ECnet username and password. Freshmen will see an option to complete the online Housing Application Form. Please do so as soon as possible. Housing assignments are sent in early January.

Learn about our residency requirements »

Learn about Housing »

Transfer students: Contact Off-Campus Student Services to find an apartment in Boston. You can also join the Housing Waitlist in eCommon. Housing will contact you as soon as possible regarding your waitlist status, but this may not happen until early January.

Submit Final Transcripts and Proof of Graduation

Deadline: December 15

International Transcript Policy

We must receive a Final Secondary School Transcript and an official Proof of Graduation or completion of secondary education program before you matriculate to Emerson College. Some international students will need to receive a credential evaluation of their transcripts and diploma.

Proof of Graduation is due by December 15 for spring enrollment.

A credential evaluation and translation will assist in determining transfer credit, as well as proof of secondary school graduation. You must use one of the following required credential evaluators:

The credential evaluation service will inform the student about which official documents it requires (transcripts, diplomas, exam scores, etc). This varies, depending on the country where the student was educated. If you determine that you need a credit evaluation of your official transcript, you will also need one for your proof of graduation.

You do need a Credit Evaluation if:

  • Your secondary school is outside the United States and your transcript is not in English
  • Your secondary school is not accredited by the United States
  • You are a transfer student who took courses for college credit outside the United States (non-U.S. colleges only)

You do not need a Credit Evaluation if:

  • Your graduated from an American secondary school outside the United States
  • Your school is U.S. accredited
  • You received a U.S. diploma
  • You received an International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma). However, you must still submit an official copy of your diploma.

When choosing your credential service, please choose a service similar to World Education Service’s Document-by-Document report.

Proof of Graduation

Acceptable proof of graduation includes:

  • Official Final Transcript with date of graduation (Only if school is U.S. accredited and issues U.S. Diplomas)
  • Official copy of IB Diploma
  • Credential evaluation of your non-U.S. diploma/certificate stating it is equivalent to a U.S. diploma
  • Official A-level results

We cannot accept the following as proof of graduation:

  • IB exam scores (without accompanying diploma)
  • Photocopy or scan of high school diploma
  • Exams, such as the International Baccalaureate, German Abitur, European Baccalaureate, French Baccalaureat, and Swiss Maturité need not be translated in order to be considered for transfer credit, but are not sufficient proof of high school graduation.

Advising and Registration Information

Academic Advising will begin to contact to contact incoming students in mid-December and will continue to do so into early January. Course schedules are posted in eCommon just prior to the start of the semester. You will be notified via email when your final course schedule becomes available. 

Transferring Credits

  • First-year students may be awarded transfer credit for college coursework taken prior to enrolling at Emerson or for taking Advanced Placement or IB exams.
  • Transfer students will be able to view a Transfer Credit Evaluation in the Application Portal within two weeks of receiving an offer of admission.

Major Changes

Please note that incoming students may not request to change majors into the Visual and Media Arts department or the Performing Arts department.

If you are considering a major change before December 16, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at admission@emerson.edu. You will hear from an Admission Counselor within one week as to whether your request can be approved.

If you are considering a major change after December 16, please contact the Academic Advising Center at advising@emerson.edu. You will hear from Advising in early January as to whether your request can be approved.

Once you matriculate, we will ask you to wait until your second semester at the College to request a change of major. All changes require approval of the department Chair. Information regarding the major change process and qualifications required for specific programs is available from the Academic Advising Center.

Pay Tuition Bill

DEADLINE: JANUARY 3 - Extended to January 7, 2014

Tuition bills begin to post in December (or shortly after you deposit) and are due by January 3.

Learn about the billing process »

Submit Health Forms

Deadline: january 4

Full-time students should carefully read the Pre-Entrance Health Requirements Policy. In order to begin classes and/or take residency, students must download and complete the Entrance Health Form and provide documentation of compliance with all health requirements. We encourage you to start this process as soon as possible.

Read the Pre-Entrance Health Requirements Policy »

Orientation and Moving to Boston


Student Life will send you information about Orienation in early January. 

Visit the Winter Orientation page»