Undergraduate Admission

Fall International Timeline

Now that you've submitted your Enrollment Deposit, here's what to expect.

Create your ECnet Account

Once you have submitted your enrollment deposit, you’ll receive an email inviting you to sign up for an ECnet account. Please do so as soon as possible.

  • Forgot your ECnet password? You can reset it online.
  • You can track your progress through the items on this timeline by viewing your Incoming Student Checklist in eCommon.

Watch for updates

Your ECmail account is the primary way in which Emerson College will communicate with you. We recommend you check it regularly.

Log in to ECmail »

Submit documentation to receive your I-20 Form for a Student Visa


We begin to process and send I-20s during the month of June. Follow these steps to obtain your I-20:

  • Submit your nonrefundable $500 Enrollment Deposit in the Application Portal. Then, submit the following documentation via email at admission@emerson.edu or fax to 617-824-8609:
    • International Student Contact Form
      This form provides information necessary for your I-20 Form (immigration document).
    • Bank Document (Sample PDF)
      Please provide us with a bank document that meets the following criteria:
      • In English
      • In U.S. Dollars
      • Showing a minimum of US $57,000
      • Signed by a bank official
      • Issued within 6 months of the start date of your program. (Please note that the funds must be liquid: real estate and forms of property are not acceptable forms of documentation.) Please view our Financial Documentation guidelines »
    • Letter of Sponsorship (PDF)
      If your official bank letter represents finances of someone other than you, you must include this letter of sponsorship. Make sure your financial sponsor signs and dates the letter.
    • Passport Photocopy
      Please submit a copy of the biographical/identification page of your passport. This is the page that shows your photo, your date of birth, passport number, date that the passport was issued, expiration date, and country of citizenship.

Once you receive your I-20 and SEVIS information

International Transfer Students

For students attending colleges and universities within the United States, please look over the procedures for maintaining your F-1 visa status.

In addition to the items listed above, you must also submit one copy of each form from below:

  • Current F-1 student visa
  • Form I-94 arrival/departure record (the small white card stapled into your passport)
  • Previous Form I-20
  • Transfer Verification Form

Sign Up for Housing

Deadline: June 30

After submitting your enrollment deposit, visit eCommon and login with your ECnet username and password. Freshmen will see an option to complete the online Housing Application Form starting in February. Housing assignments are sent in late July. Move-in dates are posted in late June.

Learn about the residency requirements »

Learn about Housing »

Submit Health Information


All incoming students are required to register and log into the secure Online Student Health (OSH) Portal to complete a medical history, submit immunization records, and complete a Tuberculosis Risk Assessment Questionnaire. To get started at any point in time, download the Immunization Verification Form to bring to your health care provider to complete, sign and date. You will need the form to enter information in the OSH.

OSH Guide »

Submit Final Transcripts and Proof of Graduation

Deadline: July 15

All incoming students must provide proof of secondary school graduation before they will be allowed to attend Emerson.

We must receive proof of graduation or completion of secondary education program before you matriculate to Emerson College.

Acceptable forms of Proof of Graduation include:

  • Official copy of documentation sent directly from the IB Organization indicating that a diploma has been awarded
  • If your school is not accredited by the US and does not issue US diplomas, a credential evaluation of your diploma/certificate stating it is equivalent to a U.S. diploma
  • Official A-level results from the testing organization or high school which indicates that 5 GCSEs with a grade of C or better in academic subjects (3 of them A-levels) have been taken
  • A Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED) sent directly from the testing organization
  • Home-schooled students have the additional option to submit a letter from a local school district official or state education agency certifying that the student received an education substantially equivalent to instruction given to students graduating from high school in a public or private institution

Some international students will need to receive a credential evaluation of their transcripts and diploma from an official service like the Center for Educational Documentation.

You do need a Credit Evaluation if:

  • Your secondary school is outside the United States and your transcript is not in English
  • Your secondary school is not accredited by the United States
  • You are a transfer student who took courses for college credit outside the United States at a non-U.S. college or university

You do not need a Credit Evaluation if:

  • You graduated from an American secondary school outside the United States
  • Your school is U.S. accredited
  • You received a U.S. diploma
  • You received an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. However, you must still submit an official copy of your diploma.

We cannot accept the following as proof of graduation:

  • IB exam scores (without accompanying diploma)
  • Photocopy or scan of high school diploma
  • Exams, such as the International Baccalaureate, German Abitur, European Baccalaureate, French Baccalaureat, and Swiss Maturité need not be translated in order to be considered for transfer credit, but are not sufficient proof of high school graduation.

Advising and Registration Information


Academic Advising will mail first-year registration instructions in mid-June. Please return all materials by the deadline listed in the instructions. Registration instructions for transfer students will be sent by the end of June, and will be due shortly after you receive them.

Transferring Credits

  • First-year students may be awarded transfer credit for college coursework taken prior to enrolling at Emerson or for taking Advanced Placement or IB exams. Exam scores like those from the International Baccalaureate, German Abitur, European Baccalaureate, French Baccalaureat, and Swiss Maturité do not have to be translated or evaluated in order to be considered for transfer credit.
  • If you would like to receive a credit and/or exam score evaluation, submit official final college transcripts and/or exam scores to Emerson College Undergraduate Admission Processing Center, PO Box 880, Randolph, MA 02368-0880 by July 15. You can submit a transcript for any Summer 2015 college coursework by August 15. Evaluations are usually complete within a few weeks.

Major Changes

If you are considering a major change prior to May 15, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admission at admission@emerson.edu. You will hear from an admission counselor within one week as to whether your request can be approved.

If you are considering a major change after May 15, please contact the Academic Advising Center at advising@emerson.edu. Advising will note that you would like to change your major, and then will consider requests according to program space availability in mid to late summer.

Please note that incoming students may not request to change majors into the Department of Visual and Media Arts or the Department of Performing Arts.

Once you matriculate in the fall, we will ask you to wait until your second semester at the College to request a change of major. All changes require approval of the department Chair. Information regarding the major change process and qualifications required for specific programs is available from the Academic Advising Center.

Pay Tuition Bill

Deadline: August 1

Tuition bills will be available online by the end of June and are due by August 1.

Learn about the billing process »

Orientation and Moving to Boston


You can learn about move-in and what to bring to college on the Orientation page.