Take a quick minute and sign up to receive information about our academic programs, important updates regarding special on-campus events, and application notifications. Sign up today »
- Communication Disorders: GRE score required
- Communication Management: GRE or GMAT score required
- Creative Writing: GRE score optional
- Global Marketing Communication and Advertising: GRE or GMAT score required
- Health Communication: GRE or GMAT score required
- Integrated Marketing Communication: GRE or GMAT score required
- Journalism: GRE score required
- Media Art: No test score required
- Publishing and Writing: GRE score required
- Theatre Education: GRE score optional
Test Score Requirements
- Standardized test scores may be no more than five years old.
- Only test scores sent directly from the testing service will be considered official.
- Allow two to three weeks after your test date for your score to be received by Emerson. Please consider this when scheduling your test date, so that your score arrives before the application deadline.
- Applicants need only supply one test score for programs that require the GRE or GMAT.
- Test substitution is not allowed. Only GRE, GMAT, IELTS, and TOEFL are accepted.
- International applicants are required to submit IELTS or TOEFL scores in addition to a GRE or GMAT. More information is available in the International Student application instructions.
Test Score Waiver
The GRE or GMAT requirement is automatically waived for applicants who have completed a graduate or other advanced degree (MA, MS, MBA, JD, etc.) from an accredited college or university in the United States. [Note: the GRE is not required for the MFA in Media Art program.]
The English test (TOEFL or IELTS) requirement is automatically waived for international applicants who have completed a bachelor’s, master’s or other advanced degree (JD, PhD, etc.) from an accredited college or university in the United States. The English test may also be waived for applicants who graduated from a college or university where the mode of instruction is English, or whose native language is English. To request an English test waiver for any of these reasons, please submit a Test Score Waiver Request Form.
Test requirement waivers are automatically processed when an officialtranscript or foreign transcript evaluation is received by the Office of Graduate Admission.
Emerson College Test Codes
- GRE or TOEFL: 3367
- GMAT: KGR-QS-94
Visit the GRE or GMAT website to learn more about the tests or to schedule a test date.