Pre-College Programs

International Student Information

You are considered an international student if you do not have U.S. citizenship, dual-U.S. citizenship, or have permanent residency.

  1. U.S. Visa, and Identity Documentation Requirements
  2. Applying to a Summer Pre-College Program
  3. Residence Life
  4. Student Life

1. U.S. Visa and Identity Documentation Requirements

You will need an F-1 student visa to participate in our Pre-College Programs.

Note: The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires all F-1 student visa applicants to pay a one-time fee before applying for a visa. Visit U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement to read current fees and visa application requirements.

Identification Documents

As an international applicant, you must submit:

  • A photocopy of your passport
  • An International Student Contact Form
  • Proof of health insurance coverage, for the student, provided by a United States-based insurance company.
  • U.S. citizens living outside of the United States must submit a copy of their U.S. passport.

Please consult the Programs for High School Students pages for additional general application requirements.

2. Applying to a Summer Pre-College Program

Deadline: International students must submit all application materials by May 25, 2015.

All of Emerson's Pre-College Studio Programs and Summer Institutes for high school students are all available to international students. Read about the Studio Programs, the Journalism Institute, and the Poltical Communication Program. You may apply to two programs if you wish. If you apply to two programs, you must send us all required application materials for both programs.


Letter of Recommendation: A teacher or guidance counselor should write your letter of recommendation. He or she should describe his or her relationship to you, evaluate your academic abilities, and write about your work and interest in developing skills in arts and communication. Please ask your teacher or guidance counselor to write about your abilities and interest in the field related to the program for which you are applying.

Theatrical Résumé: You must submit a theatrical résumé if you apply to Actors Studio, Musical Theatre Studio or Stage Design Studio. A résumé is a list of your stage experience: roles, training, and education. It should also include your physical description, vocal range, and contact information.

Electronic Audition: Applicants to Musical Theatre Studio must submit an URL or link to a recorded audition. We will accept links to YouTube or Vimeo, where you have posted a recording of yourself performing one musical selection. Please visit the Musical Theatre Studio page and read the Electronic Audition Requirements for more information.

Film Non-DVD Samples: If you do not have a DVD sample of your work, please submit the first 5–10 pages of a script or a written synopsis of an idea you have for a film or a television show. Script or DVD samples are required of Filmmakers Studio applicants.

TOEFL & IELTS scores: If your native language is not English, you must provide proof of your proficiency in the English language. Please submit your scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System. A TOEFL score of 550 (paper based) or 80 (Internet based) or an IELTS core of 7 and above is preferred.

Translated Transcript: If you are applying to one of the Pre-College Credit Programs — Film Writing or Film Production — you must submit an official secondary school transcipt translated into English with your application.

If you are an International Baccalaureate (IB) student, or if you attend an English immersion school, you are not required to send TOEFL or IELTS scores. However, we require a letter of English proficiency from an instructor or a guidance counselor.

Please consult the Pre-College Programs pages for additional general application requirements.

3. Residence Life

All international students must stay in one of the College’s residence halls, and students are typically assigned to a four- or six-person suite. The residence hall has 24-hour building security.

  • Studio program students may move into the residence hall on July 5, 2015. They must move out of the residence hall by noon on Sunday, August 9, 2015.
  • Journalism students may move into the residence hall on July 5, 2015. They must move out of the residence hall by noon on Saturday, July 25, 2015.
  • Political Communication students may move into the residence hall on July 19, 2015. They must move out of the residence hall by noon on Saturday, August 8, 2015.

Professional staff and student staff members live in the residence hall, explain College policies, refer students to College services and offices, respond to emergency situations, sponsor after-program activities, and provide general support services to residents. Support services include mediation of interpersonal conflicts, responding to emergencies, enforcement of College policies, and assisting students in general during their stay.

Curfew: Two curfews will be enforced.

  • Building curfew: Students must be inside the residence hall no later than 10:00 pm.
  • Room curfew: Students must be in their rooms by midnight.

Room assignments: A month before the program begins, you will receive your room assignment, along with your class schedule and other information, such as class locations. Roommates are assigned based on completed roommate questionnaires.

4. Student Life

Rules & Policies
Each pre-college student receives a Student Handbook. You will be expected to follow Emerson College’s rules and all policies explained in the handbook. Special Note: Drinking age in the United States is 21 years old. Smoking is prohibited in all Emerson College-owned or -leased buildings.

Leaving Campus
Residential students may leave campus during non-program hours if they sign out with another residential student. The sign-out policy is explained in the student handbook. If you plan to sleep off campus, your parents must submit a completed and signed Parental Permission form. The five-week programs are intensive. We strongly suggest that you miss no more than one class, and that you limit off-campus overnight visits to weekend and non-program hours.

Evening activities are offered frequently. Activities will be scheduled by our professional staff and may include activities based on information pre-college students provide to us in an activity questionnaire. Often students participate in such activities as an author reading, a museum visit, or attendance at a play.

Health Insurance & Immunizations

All international students must be covered by a health insurance plan, provided by a United States-based insurance company. Proof of insurance is required.

Please visit Emerson College’s Immunization page. You will need to provide proof that you have received all immunizations listed for undergraduates, as well as three doses of Polio immunization.

Tuberculosis Skin Test

You must be tested for tuberculosis no earlier than three months prior to the start of the program if you are from a country not listed below:

Albania, America Samoa, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Lebanon, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montserrat, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Norway, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, Samoa, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, United States Virgin Islands

If you have other questions, please email Tori Weston at or call 617-824-8940.