Pre-College Digital Filmmakers 5-Week Studio Program
July 9, 2017 - August 13, 2017
Filmmakers Studio offers you an opportunity to explore concepts and practices in film production. Applicants selected for the five-week program train in the art and technique of single-camera digital film production.
As a student in the Filmmakers program, you will:
- Gain extensive production experience including, but not limited to, creating story structure, cinematography, lighting, sound recording, and editing.
- Develop strong and practical story ideas, visualize those ideas in storyboards, and realize those ideas in short films.
- One of the main objectives of the Filmmakers Studio is to provide you with the necessary means and instruction to produce a portfolio film for your college applications.
- Acquire introductory to intermediate-level skills in shooting on digital video, lighting for black and white film, sound design, recording and mixing, and editing digital film. Projects include but are not limited to: 1-2 minute montage film, group project, 24 hour film, and a final short film.
- This program is only offered as a noncredit program.
At the completion of the program, you will have an opportunity to showcase your work and the skills you have learnded to friends, family, and peers. The Filmmakers Showcase is scheduled for Saturday, August 12, 2017.
Program Dates (including required orientation): July 9–August 13, 2017
Filmmakers Showcase: August 12, 2017
Move-out day for on-campus students: August 13, 2017–by noon
Filmmakers Studio Costs Per Student:
- Digital Filmmakers Tuition: $4478
- Residential Room and Board Fee: $2870
- Non-refundable program application fee: $60
Lunch, Monday through Friday is included in the tuition cost. The residential option includes room, linens, breakfast and dinner on weekdays, and brunch and dinner on weekends.
Who Should Apply
Filmmakers Digital Studio: Students entering grades 10, 11 and 12 during the 2017-2018 academic year and who are between the ages of 15 and 18 as of July 10, 2017 and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and give helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply
Each candidate for the Filmmakers Studio Program - applicants to both the 16mm Track and the Digital Producation Track - must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents.
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- 1) what you hope to achieve during the studio program
- 2) an event you feel has prepared you for the pre-college program.
- Essay: In one or two pages, discuss a film, a film director or screenwriter that you feel is most influential to your work. In a collaborative or team project, what role do you feel most and least comfortable taking? Why?
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher or teachers who know your work. If possible, the teachers should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
- Completed Video Project video link or script
International Student Applicants
The final deadline for international student applicants is April 28, 2017. Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
We will accept applications through May 22, 2017. Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.
Emerson College reserves the right to change any provision of this program at any time. The College specifically reserves the right to change its tuition rates and any other financial charges. The College also reserves the right to rearrange its courses and class hours, to drop courses for which registration falls below the minimum enrollment, and to change instructor assignments.
Note: pre-college programs are not eligible for Emerson college's tuition benefits.