DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION SCIENCES & DISORDERS
B.A. University of Pittsburgh
M.S. Pennsylvania State University
Ph.D. University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Contact InformationOffice: Ubank 905
kelly_farquharson [at] emerson.edu (E-Mail »)
Dr. Farquharson is a speech-language pathologist, assistant professor, and director of the Children's Literacy and Speech Sound (CLaSS) lab. She studies the cognitive, linguistic, orthographic, and environmental factors that influence how children with speech and language disorders acquire literacy skills. One line of work has examined how working memory, language, and orthography may influence children's abilities to learn new words, read, and achieve age-appropriate speech production. A related line of work has examined how speech therapy-level variables, such as SLPs' stress, therapy quality, and IEP goals, may affect the outcomes seen in children with speech and language impairments. As a former school-based SLP, she is interested in determining how these lines of work can be used to create better assessments and treatments for SLPs to use in serving this population of children. Her research is published in the American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Journal of Communication Disorders, Frontiers in Educational Psychology, Seminars in Speech and Language, Evidence-Based Practice Briefs, and Perspectives in School-Based Issues.
Dr. Farquharson was recently elected as the president of the Massachusetts Speech Language Hearing Association. She has been an active member of the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) since she was an undergraduate student and has served many leadership roles at the state and national level. Currently, she is a member of the ASHA Convention Planning Committee in the area of Speech Sound Disorders, a member of the Professional Development committee for ASHA's SIG 16 (School-Based Issues), and is an ad hoc reviewer for several journals.
Dr. Farquharson offers graduate courses on preschool language disorders, speech sound disorders, and literacy disorders. Her research activities are open to Emerson students who want to become engaged in clinical research exploring the literacy trajectories for children who have speech and language disorders.
- Farquharson, K. (2004). Introduction to the Professions: What is Speech-Language Pathology? In NSSLHA Communication Sciences Student Survival Guide (pp. 4-6). New York: Delmar Publications.
Farquharson, K. (2004). Specialty Interests in Speech-Language Pathology and Speech Language Sciences. In NSSLHA Communication Sciences Student Survival Guide (pp. 183-188; 193-197). New York: Delmar Publications.
- Farquharson, K. (2005). Idiom Lexicalization, Comprehension, and Familiarity in School-Age
Children: A review of the literature. Unpublished Master’s research, Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania.
- Farquharson Schussler, K. (2008). RTI: My Perspective. Perspectives on School-Based Issues
2008 9: 111-115. Available at http://div16perspectives.asha.org/current.dtl
- Farquharson (2012). Working memory processes in children with and without speech sound disorders (Unpublished dissertation). University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE.
- Geiss, S.A., Farquharson Schussler, K., Fitzgerald, M.D., & Means, J.W. (2012). Preparing school-based SLPs: What university faculty can do. Perspectives on Issues in Higher Education June 2012 15:11-15; doi:10.1044/ihe15.1.11
- Farquharson, K. (2013). Articulation and Phonological Disorders Instructor’s Resource Manual and Test Bank. Companion to Articulation and Phonological Disorders in Children by Bernthal, Bankson, & Flipsen. Boston: Pearson Publications.
- Farquharson, K., & Franzluebbers, C.E. (2014). Comparing the effects of memory-based interventions on language and memory for children with language impairments. EBP Brief, 9, 1-7.
- Farquharson, K., Tambryaja, S.R., Justice, L.M., & Redle, E.E. (2014). Examining IEP goals for Children with Speech Sound Disorders. Journal of Communication Disorders, 52, 184-195. doi:10.1016/j.jcomdis.2014.09.005
- Biancone, T.L., Farquharson, K., Justice, L.M., Schmitt, M.B., & Logan, J.A.R (2014). Quality of langauge intervention provided to primary-grade students with language intervention. Journal of Communication Disorders, 49, 13-24.
- Farquharson, K. (2014). A bittersweet dream. The ASHA Leader, 19, 72. doi:10.1044/leader.FPLP.19122014.72
- Farquharson, K. (2015). Language or motor: Reviewing the categorical theories regarding the etiology of speech sound disorders in children. Frontiers in Psychology,6, 1-3; Special Issue: Conceptual Categories and the Structure of Reality: Theoretical and Empirical Approaches
- Cabbage, K., Farquharson, K., & Hogan, T.P. (2015). Speech perception and working memory in children with persistent speech sound disorders: A case study analysis. Seminars in Speech and Language; Special Issue: Residual speech sound errors: Causes, implications, treatment, 36, 234-246.
- Farquharson, K. (2015). After Dismissal: Examining the Language, Literacy, and Cognitive Skills of Children with Remediated Speech Sound Disorders. Perspectives on School-Based Issues, 6, 50-59.
Farquharson, K., Tambyraja, S.R., Logan, J.A.R., Justice, L.M., & Schmitt, M.B. (2015). Using hierarchical linear modeling to examine how individual SLPs differentially contribute to children’s language and literacy gains in public schools, American Journal of Speech Language Pathology, 24, 504-516.
- Tambyraja, S.R., Schmitt, M.B., Farquharson, K., & Justice, L.M. (2015). A person-centered approach to understanding emergent literacy risks in children with specific language impairment. Logopedija, 5, 1-8.
- Tambyraja, S.R., Schmitt, M.B., Farquharson, K., & Justice, L.M. (In Press). Stability of Language and Literacy Profiles of Children with Language Impairment in the Public Schools. Manuscript accepted for publication at Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- Tambyraja, S.R., Farquharson, K., Logan, J.A.R., & Justice, L.M. (2015). Phonological Processing and the Classroom Environment: Predictors of Decoding Skills in Kindergarten and First Grade Children with Language Impairment. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 24, 177-188.
- Farquharson, K. Issues in Speech Development. Entry in The SAGE Encyclopedia of Contemporary Early Childhood Education.
Farquharson, K. Phonological Ability. Entry in The SAGE Encyclopedia of Contemporary Early Childhood Education.
- Language and Reading Research Consortium (LARRC), Farquharson, K., & Murphy, K.. (2016). Ten Steps to Conducting a Large, Multi-site, Longitudinal Investigation of Language and Reading in Young Children. Frontiers in Developmental Psychology, 7 (419), 1-16. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.00419
- Murphy, K., LARRC, & Farquharson, K. (2016). Investigating Profiles of Lexical Quality in Preschool and their Contribution to First Grade Reading. Reading and Writing, 1-26.
- Tambyraja, S.R., Schmitt, M.B., Farquharson, K., & Justice, L.M. (2016). Home Literacy Environment Profiles of Children with Language Impairment: Associations with Caregiver- and Child-Specific Factors. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 1-12.
- Wang, E.** and Farquharson, K. (2016). Assessment of speech production skills of bilingual Mandarin-English speaking children: Difference vs. disorder. EBP Brief, 10, 1-8.
- Schmitt, M.B., Logan, J.A.R., Tambyraja, S.R., Farquharson, K., & Justice, L.M. (In Press). Establishing benchmarks for expected growth in language for children with language impairments. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
- 2014 ASHA Advancing Academic Research Career (AARC) Award (Funds awarded: $5000)
- Emerson College Faculty Advancement Fund Grant, Examining the Role of Orthography Exposure in Improving Phonological Representations for Children with Speech Sound Disorders (Funds awarded: $10,000)
Awards & Honors
- 2014 Meritorious Poster Award, American Speech Language Hearing Association, Poster submission: Characterizing Language Impairment: A Latent Profile Analysis of Children Receiving School-Based Language Therapy
Contact InformationOffice: Ubank 905
kelly_farquharson [at] emerson.edu (E-Mail »)
Speech and Language Disorders