If Emerson has what you're looking for, here's what we're looking for: those who seek to create a life with writing at its center. We're looking for talented, aspiring artists with imaginative literary minds. You can start by telling us your story.
Writing Sample Requirement
In the MFA in Creative Writing program, you must be ready to focus your energy, commit to the words, immerse yourself in your craft, and make writing your life.
Other qualifications include a strong academic record and a writing sample that reflects your preferred genre. You are required to submit a maximum of 15 pages (double-spaced) of fiction or nonfiction or a maximum of 15 pages of poetry. Label the writing sample with your preferred genre as indicated on the application form. Screenplays and other dramatic scripts are not accepted. You must submit all materials to the Office of Graduate Admission.
Graduate Application Requirements
MFA Creative Writing: Graduate Application Checklist
All documents should be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admission:
- Start with a passion for expressing yourself through creative work.
- Fill out the application for graduate admission, and pay the application fee.
- Submit your writing sample: a maximum 15 pages (double-spaced) of fiction or nonfiction; or a maximum 15 pages of poetry.
- Submit official transcripts from all undergraduate/graduate institutions attended, showing an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Turn in three letters of recommendation. Letters should refer to creative and academic abilities.
- Submit one essay describing your professional goals.
- Turn in a professional résumé including your employment and educational history.
- Submit GRE scores.
- For international students: Turn in TOEFL or IELTS scores. Scores must be at least 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, or 80 Internet-based; minimum IELTS: 7.0.
- Ensure you are willing to commit yourself to an intense program that full-time students usually complete in two and a half years and part-time students usually complete in three and a half years.
- After submitting all documents to the Office of Graduate Admission, you'll be notified of an admission decision about six to eight weeks after the application deadline.
CREATIVE WRITING (MFA) AT A GLANCE
Full-time or part-time enrollment. Full-time enrollment is typically 8 or 12 credits per semester.
Full-time students usually complete the degree in two and a half years; part-time students usually complete the degree in three and a half years.
Professor and MFA Graduate Program Director Steve Yarbrough is the author of nine books. His recently completed novel The Realm of Last Chances will be published by Alfred A. Knopf in 2013. His previous novel, Safe from the Neighbors (Knopf), appeared in 2010. His 2006 novel The End of California (Knopf) was a finalist for the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters Award for fiction.