Department of Visual & Media Arts
Local Production Resources
- Alliance for Independent Motion Media: an evolving network of media arts organizations and partners working together to stimulate and sustain the growth of independent motion media production in Massachusetts
- American Graphiti: full range of public relations services for filmmakers, email@example.com
- Associated Grant Makers: a regional association of grant makers, both foundations and corporations with giving programs, serving in or making grants in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. AGM offers resources on grant writing.
- Boston Camera: film equipment rental including 35mm and 16mm as well as lenses, lights, tripods, dollys, Kodak film stock, and expendables
- Boston Casting: full-service casting company
- The Color of Film Collaborative: a nonprofit organization that works to support media makers of color and others who have an interest in creating and developing new and diverse images of people of color in film, video, and performing arts
- The D-Word: a worldwide community of documentary professionals. It hosts discussions about the art, craft, business, and social impact of documentary film.
- Filmmakers Collaborative: a membership organization that produces documentaries, animation, experimental, and narrative media
- Film Shack: film post-production
- The Foundation Center: offers information on grant writing and grant making
- The LEF Foundation: a private foundation that supports the creation and presentation of contemporary work within the fields of visual art, performing art, new media, literary art, film, architecture, and design
- Massachusetts Cultural Council: offers a variety of funding programs for Massachusetts artists. Fellowships are available in specific disciplines, and a range of grants are available to connect artists to their communities.
- Massachusetts Film Office: responsible for coordinating the state’s film and television efforts in conjunction with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, legislative leaders, the state’s scenic cities and towns, AFTRA/SAG, IATSE, Teamsters, Boston Film Festival, and production firms
- National Boston: high-definition post-production services
- New England Film: provides a full directory of services, people, and companies for media makers
- Rule Broadcast Systems: professional audio/video for rental or sale
- Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, New England Chapter: a nonprofit educational and scientific organization of New England people with a common interest in film/video technology
- Talmas Broadcast Equipment: audio/video rental, sales, and service
- Video Express: high-definition services, DVD and CD duplication, DVD authoring, and closed captioning
- Video Transfer: video and audio tape duplication and custom packaging as well as transfers
- WGBH Lab: a resource and a community for media makers of all kinds, where users interact as they watch, create, and collaborate on video work
- The Work Book Project: a free production resource that users can update with their own information
At Emerson, when there’s a will, there’s a way. Some inventive Visual and Media Arts students have found a new means to raise funds to film and produce their work. It’s something called crowdfunding, through the online platform Kickstarter.com.
Equipment Distribution Center
The Emerson College Equipment Distribution Center (EDC) loans professional, state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to faculty and students to fulfill class assignments. Professional staff and student employees are available to provide technical support when needed. It includes the Film Equipment Center and the Video, Audio, New Media Equipment Centers.