Careers & Internships in Visual & Media Arts
Equipped with the industry knowledge and skills to perform well on the job, graduates secure positions in all aspects of visual, media, and sound arts.
A Sampling of Jobs of Recent Graduates of Visual & Media Arts
- Production Coordinator at North Six in Los Angeles
- Writer, The Colbert Report
- Associate Producer, 360 KID
- Development Research, Scout Productions
- Production Assistant, Hallmark Channel
- Editor, Fox News Channel
- Production Assistant, Soup2Nuts
- Production Assistant, Hearst-Argyle WMUR-Ch 5
- Promotions, WFNX Radio
- Associate, Techfusion
- Editor, SCG Productions
- Editing Apprentice, Marz Associates
- Editor at Iron Past
- Film Production Manager, Austin Film Festival
- Production Manager, Hillstrom Entertainment
- Board Operator, Greater Media Radio Group
- Production, WXKS-FM/KISS 108
- On-air/Board Operator, Entercom
- Studio Manager, Departure Studios
- Audio Editor, freelance
- Production Director, WTIX-AM 690
- Assistant Audio Producer, CNET Networks
- Operations Manager, KWVS-FM
- Sound Designer, JerseyBred Productions
- Art Coordinator, Total Experience Records
- Assistant Editor, Banyan Productions
- Owner, Frogateur Productions
- Designer, Curious & Co.
- Business Owner, Emberwilde Productions
- Music Video Coordinator, Partizan Entertainment
- Producer, A Young Production Co.
- Production Assistant, Imagine Entertainment
- Production Assistant, Eyeboogie, Inc.
- Production Assistant, Joan of Arcadia
- Post Coordinator, Ellman Entertainment
- Production Assistant, World Wide Pants
- Assistant Editor, World of Wonder Productions
- Assistant, Agency for the Performing Arts
- Owner, Digital Development Communications
- Contract Production Associate, US Magazine, People Magazine, Parenting Magazine, and Time
- Digital Archivist, Digital Domain
- Manager, Cape Cinema
- Web Writer, subterraboston.com
- Advertising Assistant, The Durango Herald
- Assistant, Fox Searchlight
- Media Consultant, Moftah Productions
- Production Assistant, Freelancer
- Visual Director, Earthquake Sound
- Assignment Desk Assistant, WCVB-TV Channel 5 Boston
- Municipal Producer, The Waltham Channel
- Greenroom Supervisor, WGBH
- Producer's Assistant, MAD TV
- Set Carpenter/Art Dept Assistant, Mindless Entertainment
- Casting Associate, Reality TV
- Assistant Editor, Swift River Productions
- Legal Assistant, MGM Studios
- Production Assistant, Warner Brothers
- Production Assistant, Bunim-Murray Productions
The College offers a range of extra- and co-curricular opportunities for students, including:
- The Emerson Channel: a college-based cable TV channel
- WERS-FM: an award-winning, student-run, professionally managed FM radio station
- WECB AM, a student-run radio station that broadcasts on the Emerson College campus
- Emerson Independent Video (EIV): a student-run video organization, which gives students hands-on experience in all phases of television production in a professional environment. EIV also offers bi-weekly trips to area media companies (Boston Connection), and an annual trip to visit and network with NY-based media professionals (New York Connection)
International Study & External Programs
- The Los Angeles Program offers qualified juniors, seniors, and graduate students a fast-paced semester of internships and courses for college credit, hands-on experience, and opportunities to network with communication and entertainment industry professionals as well as Emerson College alumni in the Los Angeles area.
- The Prague Summer Film Program offers a four-week intensive experience in film production, scripting, and editing at the Academy of Performing Arts for Film and Television (FAMU), one of the top three film schools in Europe.
- The Kasteel Well Program in the Netherlands offers students a chance to experience different cultures first-hand, study the wide variety of Europe's communication systems, practice and improve foreign language skills, and learn about Europe's rich history and art through course offerings focused on the liberal arts, and extensive travel opportunities.
Emerson alumni involved with the Emmys describe what Emerson meant to them and how it helped shape where they are today.
Michael Marantz '07
The producer/editor of EMS South Africa explains what his film is about—the human condition—and what he hopes to accomplish with the types of films that he works on.
Jae Williams '08
Recent graduate Jae Williams '08 jumped right into his career in media arts by starting his own video and commercial production company. Williams follows his passion—directing music videos—for Boston artists.
Veronica Belmont '04
Veronica Belmont goes from tech journalist to tech personality and video host. Now the co-host of the show Tekzilla and the host of the monthly PlayStation 3-based video on demand program Qore, Belmont previously was a producer and editor for CNET. She recommends starting your own personal site in your passion.
Now working at some of the biggest names in Hollywood, alumni of The Emerson Channel describe it as "the perfect training for who you will become in the industry." Said one student of the experience: "It taught me everything I know."