Academic Affairs

Guidelines and Financial Policies: Faculty Travel and Research Spending

In the past, there has been some confusion regarding non-salary disbursements and purchasing for faculty travel and research expenses. It is important to follow the College’s financial guidelines.

Please note: This is not intended to be completely inclusive, but does serve as a reminder of some of the major points.


The College’s research and travel funds are based upon a reimbursement-of-expenses system. It is recommended that you use purchase orders and check requests to vendors whenever possible.

The most important points to remember are:

  1. Typically, funds must be expended during the fiscal years for which they are awarded. The College’s budgeting system is based on the fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). As an example, funds awarded for academic year 2013-2014 are available for use after July 1, 2013 and must have completed the reimbursement process before the close of the fiscal year, June 28, 2014. Please note that the reimbursement process takes a minimum of two weeks. Therefore, funds must be expended and submitted for reimbursement no later than June 14, 2014. Unfortunately, there can be no exceptions to this deadline.
  2. Tenured, tenure-track and term faculty on three-year appointments will be permitted to carry forward unused departmental funds up to two years over three-year period. For more information on this, consult your department or the Office of Academic Affairs.
  3. Receipts for all expenses must be submitted within 90 days of their expenditure. Airfare receipts must be submitted within 90 days from date of flight, therefore the actual date of purchase can go beyond the 90 days.
  4. Awards granted for a specific period cannot be extended.


  • The College does not reimburse or purchase tickets for first class travel. Travel by private automobile is reimbursed currently at .54 cents a mile [as of 1/2016].
  • If you are traveling by automobile, you must visit and enter your start and finish points, clearly displaying your route of travel and distance. Please submit printout along with your expense report and receipts.

Expenses related to travel and transportation will be reimbursed ONLY after the travel is completed, and must be accompanied by appropriate documentation such as tickets or taxi receipts.

Airline tickets may be purchased in advance through the college’s travel vendor, Travizon. For more information, please contact your academic department or Academic Affairs.

Per Diem Rates:
  • While traveling away from the campus, you may be reimbursed for per diem costs, which are dependent upon the city of travel. The figures for individual cities can be found at under “Most requested links” on the homepage.
  • You will receive 75% of the total per diem rate on the first and last day of travel and full amount all days in between.
  • Unless otherwise specified in the granting letter, groceries are not considered an appropriate expense.
  • The following are considered reasonable costs associated with College travel: transportation, registration costs and fees, hotel room and meals.
  • For travel and expenses outside of the United States, you must calculate the current exchange rate, and provide documentation of the dated source of that rate.

Purchase Orders, Check Requests, and Expense Reports:

  • If you require the purchase of equipment, you must contact your academic department or Academic Affairs (for FAFG) to generate a purchase order through the Purchasing Department.
  • The auditors require a copy of the conference program that indicates the dates and location of the conference as well as your participation.
  • Only original receipts may be used as documentation of an expense. Printed online statements are acceptable on credit card purchases only. Please make copies for your records.
  • The college will reimburse for business meeting meals up to a maximum of four (4) individuals, all of who must be listed on the expense report. Any number of individuals exceeding four must be pre-approved by Academic Affairs. All original receipts are required. Reimbursement is based on the current meal per diem for the area, which can be found at
  • If you are hiring a consultant, you must receive an invoice from the consultant and have them fill out a W-9 form. All forms can be found at You must also fill out a consultant payroll form as well which can be obtained from your academic department or Academic Affairs.
  • You must not pay the consultant directly as we cannot reimburse you for the amount paid, the consultant must be directly reimbursed through the college. The consultant must generate an invoice and indicate: the amount of the expense, the date the expense was incurred, where the expense was incurred, and the nature of the expense.
  • You are responsible for completing all of the appropriate forms. Forms may be obtained from your department assistant or by contacting the Office of Academic Affairs (The appropriate account number will be added by your academic department or Academic Affairs).

Please fill out expense reports carefully, including dates, signatures, and a brief explanation for the expenses. Also, don’t forget to indicate your preferred method of deliver: ’mail’ or ’pickup’. If you prefer to have your check mailed, don’t forget to add your full mailing address. Allow two weeks for reimbursement.