The Spirit of Emerson Award
The Spirit of Emerson Award is given annually to individuals or groups who have exemplified the Spirit of Emerson College during the past academic year or longer, as determined by the Spirit of Emerson Award Committee.
Nominations, Eligibility, and Deadline
Nominations will be accepted from any member of the Emerson community, including self-nominations. Anyone may make multiple nominations. Community members (students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni, parents, Trustees, and Overseers) who have been part of the Emerson community for at least one year are eligible as is any group composed of eligible individuals.
Nominations for the 2015 Spirit of Emerson Award are due by Friday, January 30, 2015, at 5:00 p.m.
The recipients of the annual award must succeed, if not lead, in at least three of the following ten criteria:
- Advancing Emerson’s mission, including President Pelton’s five strategic objectives
- Building morale within the Emerson community
- Creating pro-social/humanistic accomplishment at Emerson
- Increasing “school spirit”
- Epitomizing inclusiveness and the honoring of campus diversity
- Unconditional giving to Emerson
- Increasing Emerson’s positive visibility in the world or Boston community
- Actively acknowledging others who amplify the spirit of Emerson
- Making Emerson a “better place,” however the committee interprets those words
Committee Members and Chair
The Committee consists of seven members drawn from the following groups within the community. All members of the committee must have been members of the Emerson community for at least two years. If there is a tie vote for selecting a Spirit of Emerson award winner, the chair will break the tie. Committee members serve two-year terms, renewable for one additional two-year term.
- Chair: A noted “spirit leader” in the community including past recipients of the award appointed by leaders of Spirit of Emerson (ex officio members of committee). In the first years, AY 2013-4 and AY 2014-5, this will be Rabbi Albert Axelrad.
- One member of the current faculty as selected or elected by Faculty Assembly
- One member of Emerson’s alumni as selected or elected via Alumni Affairs
- One current undergraduate student as elected or selected by SGA
- One current graduate student as elected or selected by the Graduate Student Council
- The College President or his/her designees
- One representative from the Center for Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Ex officio – During the first years, the two ex officio members (without a vote) to answer the committee’s process questions. One of them would attend the opening and other meeting(s) as needed. Neither the active members nor the ex officio members of the committee will be eligible to receive the award while they are committee members.
2014-2015 Committee Members:
- Rabbi Al Axelrad, Chair
- Abby Travis, previous award recipient, alumna
- Eiki Satake, representative, faculty
- Elizabeth Sinclair, representative, graduate
- Gabby Kula, representative, undergraduate
- Michael Duggan, representative, Office of the President
- Nancy Howell, representative, Office of Communications and Marketing
- Rachel Gelaw, representative, staff
- Suzanne Hinton, previous award recipient, staff
- Tamera Marko, previous award recipient, faculty
- Tom Cooper, ex officio member, faculty, professor of Visual & Media Arts
- Andy Tiedemann, ex officio member, administration, Vice President of Communications and Marketing