Emerson College is committed to sustaining a culture where all students, staff, faculty, and visitors feel a sense of belonging and values of equity and social justice in our living, learning, and working environments. Core to this mission are the Social Justice Center, the Elma Lewis Center for Community Engagement, the Healing & Advocacy Collective, and Access, Equity, & Title IX. Led by the Vice President for Equity & Social Justice, the staff of these offices work with and support individuals and communities through personal and systems advocacy, community-centered projects, and radical care.
Recognizing the importance of institutional leadership and support for this work, the College has engaged Charlene Aguilar of Witt/Kieffer to lead the search for Emerson’s next Vice President for Equity & Social Justice. The individual in this role will join Emerson at a pivotal moment as the College transitions senior leadership and recognizes the challenges and opportunities of diversity, equity, and justice work at the local, national, and global levels.
A timeline for the search and list of committee members is included below. Confidential inquiries and nominations can be directed to EmersonVPESJ [at] wittkieffer.com.
- December 2021: Community Listening Sessions with Witt/Kieffer for students, staff, faculty, and alumni. Search Committee convenes. Position description drafting in consultation with Interim President Bill Gilligan and President’s Council.
- January 2022: Witt/Kieffer posts position and leadership profile, begins recruitment.
- February to March 2022: Recruitment and building of candidate pool.
- March to April 2022: Candidate review and interviews.
- Summer 2022: Tentative target start date.
Search Committee Members
- Ruthanne Madsen, Vice President for Enrollment, Interim Supervisor Social Justice Center
- Shari Stier, Senior Associate VP & Chief Human Resource Officer
- Anthony Pinder, Vice Provost, Internationalization & Equity
- Tamera Marko, Executive Director ELC, Social Justice Center
- Samantha Ivery, Director Diversity & Equity Initiatives, Social Justice Center
- Chris Daly, Assistant Dean, Campus Life
- Alayne Fiore, Director of Operations, Social Justice Center
- Paul Mihailidis, Professor/Assistant Dean, GPD, Journalism
- Kim McLarin, Professor, WLP, Interim Dean Graduate & Professional Studies
- Shaun Clarke, Assistant Professor, Visual & Media Arts
- Mark Donovan, Board of Advisors
- Nanci Isaacs, Alumni Board President
- Eryn McCallum, Co-Chair POWER
- Shruti Rajkumar, President, Access: SDU
- Yueqi Cheng, International Student