Pursue your passion in sports while advancing your career with our Sports Communication MA. Learn everything from digital sports media management, speech writing, facility and event management, and media coaching for athletes to sports law and ethics, sports analytics, and online fandom.
Gain the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully manage communication for sports organizations of all kinds, worldwide with our Sports Communication MA.
- Manage and promote sports industries and organizations as brands
- Develop and manage corporate and social responsibility programs targeting fans, communities and governments
- Plan and execute special events for sports organizations
- Create strategic sports communication messaging and storytelling
- Explore sports as soft power in public diplomacy changes
- Analyze, theorize and critique local and global perspectives of sports communication
- No GRE required
- Full-time and part-time options available
- Courses are offered at nights and evenings to fit your schedule
Our Sports Communication (MA) program is incredibly versatile—complete it part-time or full-time, anywhere from one to three years. Courses are offered primarily in the evening, allowing working professionals to participate in our program and leaving time for students to participate in internship and networking opportunities.
Request More Information
Technology and how the public consume sports media is ever-evolving, which is why we teach our students to develop engaging online content through digital promotion and core messaging strategies. With the sudden turn of events, digital sports news is the only accessible outlet for our society, our program arms students with the skills and proficiency to effectively respond to a future full of possibilities.
Our Sports Communication program provides a synthesis of traditional communication principles that allows students to understand reaching different fan bases and consumers by applying concepts of user experience to design websites, apps, online content, videos, and mobile communication.
With technology rapidly advancing, Emerson’s program provides you with the fundamental skills needed to leverage your career in a forever-changing landscape to build brands that fans and athletes believe in.
Our practical approach to education will allow you to gain the expertise and knowledge needed to succeed in the modern sports industry. Graduates go on to work in the following industries:
- Sports Public Relations
- Sports Management
- Sports Publishing
- College and Professional Sports Information
- Sports Journalism
- Sports Diplomacy
- Team and League Media Relations
By enrolling in our Sports Communication program, you will have access to many internship and employment opportunities on both a regional and national scale. Our students have held positions at renowned organizations such as the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, Boston Bruins, New England Revolution, Los Angeles Dodgers, Barca, LA Olympic Committee (2024), and more.
Emerson’s tight-knit community allows students to build personal and longstanding relationships with their fellow classmates and tap into an interactive and engaging alumni network.
- Song Park: Events and Fan Engagement at San Francisco 49ers
- Boston is one of the few cities in the country with all four major sports teams and is a Top 10 Sports Media market. Emerson’s location is the heart of Downtown Boston gives us incredible access to this market and has allowed us to build long standing relationships with professional sports organizations
- Internship and collaborative experience opportunities with major league sports in Boston, Los Angeles, Barcelona, Sydney, among other global cities
- Global opportunities for academic and practical study of sports communication allow our students to fully immerse themselves in this market from diverse perspectives.
Emerson College is committed to high-quality and high-touch education. As a student in the Public Relations program, you will have great access to your professors and have the opportunity to collaborate with them during your time at Emerson and beyond.
Your Graduate Program Director
Your Graduate Program Director, Linda Gallant, will serve as your primary faculty advisor, guiding you on course selection to ensure that you will both achieve your learning objectives and satisfy the program requirements. You will also receive program and department news from your program director along with any on- and off-campus opportunities that might be of interest to you.