The Sports Communication Institute will examine the various components of the Sports Communications industry and eco-system. Ranging from Sports Broadcasting, punditry, media production (both audio and video), through Sports Journalism, Sports Management on a collegiate and professional level, the role and practice of Sports Marketing. In Sports Public Relations, we will learn how and then produce a professional online press conference. In Sports as Civic engagement, we will experience how Sports can have a positive impact on society.
Professionals with decades of experience within the Sports Communications specialties will be online guest speakers. They will explain the "why" they do what they do, the "how" of their specialty, and the "what" you need to do if you want to be successful in that career. We will employ both synchronous (via Zoom or Google Hangouts) and asynchronous (content review, virtual tours, etc.) formats.
The Sports Communication Institute is a noncredit program.
Program Dates and Costs
- July 5 - July 11, 2020 (including required orientation)
- Virtual Sports Communication Presentation: Saturday, July 11, 2020
Costs per student:
- Sports Communication Institute Tuition: $1,895
- Non-refundable program application fee: $60
Pre-college programs are not eligible for Emerson college's tuition benefits.
The program meets Monday through Friday.
Emerson College reserves the right to change any provision of this program at any time. The College specifically reserves the right to change its tuition rates and any other financial charges. The College also reserves the right to rearrange its courses and class hours, to drop courses for which registration falls below the minimum enrollment, and to change instructor assignments.
Who Should Apply
Students with a passion for Sports Communication who are entering grades 10, 11 and 12 during the 2020-2021 academic school year, who have the desire to meet some of the nation's leaders in Sports Communication, and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work.
Each candidate must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents:
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- what you hope to achieve during the Institute
- an event you feel has prepared you for the Institute.
- Essay: In one or two pages, describe as much as you can about your dream job in Sports Communication. In a collaborative or team project, what role do you feel most and least comfortable taking? Why?
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit a least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work or by a guidance counselor. If possible, the teacher should know of your work or interest in sports communication.
International Student Applicants
Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
- Priority Deadline: February 1, 2020.
- International Student Deadline: April 3, 2020.
- We will accept applications through May 1, 2020.
Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.