Who Should Apply
PAL is designed for students who want an intensive training experience in the significant areas of politics, activism, government, and social advocacy, and who understand how to manage their time and complete assignments both in and out of the classroom. Students entering grades 10, 11, and 12 during the 2021–2022 academic year and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and provide helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply.
Each candidate for the Politics, Activism, & Leadership Program must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents:
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- What you hope to achieve during the Institute, and
- An event you feel has prepared you for the Institute.
- Essay: A 200 to 300 word essay that responds to the following question: What does ideal government look like to you? Responses should include a brief explanation of your skills and knowledge.
- Teacher Recommendation Form: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work. If possible, the teacher should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
Politics, Activism, & Leadership Institute Credit Option Must Also Submit:
- Transcript: Official secondary school transcripts
Due to COVID-19, Emerson College has decided to waive the standardized testing requirement for all the Pre-College Credit-Option programs.
International Student Applicants
Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
- Priority Deadline: February 20, 2021
- International Student Deadline: April 2, 2021
- We will accept applications through May 14, 2021
Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.