Who Should Apply
Students entering grades 11 and 12 during the 2021–2022 academic year and who are between the ages of 16 and 18 as of July 4, 2021 and who have the desire and maturity to receive constructive criticism about their work and give helpful feedback to others during the program are encouraged to apply.
Each candidate for the Musical Theatre Studio Program must submit the required online application, a non-refundable $60 application fee, and the following documents:
- Electronic audition submission. Please read the electronic audition submission requirements below.
- Student Statement of Purpose: In one or two pages, please describe:
- What you hope to achieve during the Pre-College Program, and
- An event you feel has prepared you for Emerson's Pre-College experience.
- Essay: In one or two pages, discuss a musical theater production and/or artist that you believe has most influenced or inspired your stage work.
- Teacher Recommendation: Please submit at least one recommendation, completed by a teacher who knows your work. If possible, the teacher should know your work in the field to which you are applying.
- Headshot: If you do not have a headshot, a high-quality photo of your head and shoulders is acceptable
- Resume of your theatrical experience
Applicants to the Musical Theatre Credit Option must also submit:
- Transcript: Official secondary school transcripts
Due to COVID-19, Emerson College has decided to waive the standardized testing requirement for all the Pre-College Credit-Option programs.
International Student Applicants
Visit international student information to learn about additional required application materials and find out more about applying to pre-college programs.
- Priority Deadline: February 20, 2021
- International Student Deadline: April 2, 2021
- We will accept applications through May 7, 2021
Admission to Emerson College's Arts and Communication Pre-College Programs is on a rolling basis. We suggest applying early, as space is limited. Admission decisions are made frequently.
Electronic Audition Guidelines
All applicants to the Musical Theatre Studio program must submit an electronic audition via YouTube or Vimeo. Please include the URL (webpage address) to your audition in your application, and strictly adhere to the following requirements:
- Do submit an audition consisting of one-song. The song must be: 2 minutes or less, from the Broadway Musical Theatre canon of any era, age-range appropriate, ballad or up-tempo, that sits comfortably in your voice.
- Do Not be concerned with "acting" your material; those evaluating you are far more interested in your natural comportment as well as the quality and potential of your vocal instrument.
- Do use live or taped accompaniment. A cappella is not acceptable.
- Do make sure the sound quality and lighting are good and the shot is at least from the waist up.
- Do state your name, hometown, high school, class standing and title of the selection into the camera.
- Do remember, in any audition situation, always try to show what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T do.
- DO NOT use video from musical productions in which you performed.
- DO NOT forget to send us the link to your audition.