All Winter Term courses are conducted completely online.
Winter Term courses are offered at an accelerated pace (4 weeks) allowing students to complete credits quickly. This is a great opportunity to catch up or get ahead in progressing towards degree completion.
There is a variety of 2 or 4-credit courses offered with selections from every academic department.
Since courses are accelerated, students may take up to two courses maximum.
Winter Term Dates
Winter Term runs for four weeks from December 10 to January 8.
There are no classes held on December 24 and 25 or December 31 and January 1.
|December||10 (first day)||11|
|21||22||23||24 (no class)||25 (no class)|
|28||29||30||31 (no class)||1 (no class)|
|January||4||5||6||7||8 (last day)|
How to Search for Winter Courses in the Course Listing
Winter Term is considered part of the Fall Semester, so you need to search for the courses under the Fall Term. (see below)
- Select the "Fall Term" and then submit
- Click the "Advanced Search" button to expand the search criteria
- Click the subject of your choice (or select all the subjects for a complete listing)
- Click "Winter Term" in the Part of Term filter
- Click on the "Undergraduate" or "Graduate" Course Level filter
All winter courses will have a section that begins with “W” and will state that they are a Winter Term Online Course (see example below):
- Review your course registration at emerson.edu/eCommon.
- See our instructional pages if you need help finding a course or registering.
- Check if you have any holds. Contact the office that applied your hold if you need any assistance getting it removed. Most holds block course registration!
Students are responsible to check course prerequisites and course restrictions before registering. If you don't meet the requirements for a course or it's full, you may still ask for permission to register.
- Request permission from the appropriate person.
- If permission is granted, the grantor will email their department administrator to apply the permission to your account.
- You'll receive an email once permission has been put on your account. It is still your responsibility to register for the course!
- Thursday, October 1: Winter Term Course listings are viewable in eCommon at emerson.edu/students
- Monday, October 5 at 9:00 a.m. ET: Registration opens in eCommon
- Friday, November 20: Winter Term bills will be run. *It is recommended that students register prior to this date to make sure their bill is correct and because course enrollments will begin to be reviewed. Under-enrolled courses could be cancelled.
- Monday, November 30: Last day to join a Winter Term course waitlist.
- Friday, December 4: Winter Term waitlisting closed, all remaining students removed from waitlists.
- Wednesday, December 9 at 11:59 p.m. ET: Last date to register for Winter Term classes without permission.
- Thursday, December 10: First Day of Winter Term classes
Eligibility to Register
Students who took a Leave of Absence (LOA) before the start of Fall 2020 may return to take a winter course, by contacting the Office of Student Success at studentssuccess [at] emerson.edu to apply for readmission.
Students who took a LOA after the Fall 2020 semester began will not be permitted to return, as winter is part of Fall.
Students deferred their admission to spring, or are starting in the spring as New First-Time student or Transfer student are not eligible to enroll in Winter courses.
- Tuition for undergraduate courses is $778 per credit.
- Tuition for Graduate courses is $1,276 per credit.
- A non-refundable $35 registration fee will also be assessed.
Winter Term Refund Schedule for Credit-Bearing Courses
- Courses may be dropped online for a full refund prior to the first day of class (Dec. 10, 2020).
- If a course has already met once, you are eligible for a 75% tuition refund. (2nd day of class is Dec. 11, 2020)
- If a course has already met twice, you are eligible for a 50% tuition refund. (3rd day of class is Dec. 14, 2020)
- Starting the 4th day of class (Dec. 15, 2020) you must withdraw from the course. Withdrawn courses are not refundable.
Please contact the Office of Student Accounts with any questions regarding billing:
Phone: 617-824-8655; Email: bills [at] emerson.edu
While Winter Term courses are eligible for federal financial aid, students who are already enrolled full-time for Fall 2020 would not be eligible for additional financial aid.
Winter Term courses are not eligible for institutional need-based grants or merit scholarships.
Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions regarding eligibility.
Phone: 617-824-8655; Email: financial_aid [at] emerson.edu
- Starting the 4th day of Winter Term courses (Dec. 15, 2020) you may withdraw from a course by completing a Course Withdrawal Form.
- Withdrawn Courses are not refundable.
- The course instructor must sign the form and mark the grade to be recorded (WP or WF).
- A grade of WP: Withdraw Pass or WF: Withdraw Fail is recorded for the class, depending on the student's grade at the time of withdrawal. Withdrawal from a course does not impact the GPA. The course and the grade will appear on the student's transcript and schedule.
- The student must submit the completed withdrawal form to the Registrar's Office by no later than the end of the day on December 29, 2020.
Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to discuss the pros and cons of withdrawing from a course before filing the paperwork.
Students interested in on-campus housing options during the Winter Term can contact hre [at] emerson.edu.
The College anticipates that there will be some students who do not have an alternative housing option that may want to request staying on campus. Housing and Residential Education will have an application go live in mid-October for students with extenuating circumstances to apply to be housed on-campus during the winter session. In the interim, students may email hre [at] emerson.edu with questions or concerns.