Kasteel Well: Intensive Theater Lab in Devising
July 3–August 3, 2020
*Students should arrange to depart the US on July 2 to arrive in the Netherlands on the morning of July 3.
In this 4-week, 8-credit program, students will participate in an immersive theater-making experience culminating in a public performance at Emerson’s premier European Center at Kasteel Well, Netherlands. This rare opportunity allows students to come together in an immersive laboratory to experiment, collaborate, devise, and perform innovative work. The program includes excursions to Amsterdam and other select cities to attend performances and cultural events.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Recommended for Acting students, but open to all Performing Arts students.
- Limited to 16 students.
- Application Period: January 1, 2020–February 1, 2020
Total of 8 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in the following:
- TH 421 - Advanced Acting Topics: Theater Lab in Devising
- Collaborate on bringing a devised theater production from concept to reality in an immersive theater laboratory environment
- Through group exercises, explorations and improvisations, writing and research, students source and generate original material for performance with the guidance and direction of expert theater-makers.
- Work will be informed by elements of movement, gesture, text and song.
- Learn new skills and step outside your comfort zone to engage in all aspects of theater-making.
- Forge connections with the local community of Well, Netherlands to present a public performance.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: $6,950
Included in Program Fee
- Tuition (8 credits @ $800/credit)
- Registration Fee
- Housing at Kasteel Well and on excursion
- Some meals
Not Included in Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from the Netherlands (Est. $1,300)
- Most meals and incidental or personal expenses
- Course materials
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is. For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.