Montreal: Emerson Documentary Lab
Postponed to Summer 2021
The Emerson Documentary Lab Global Pathways Program is dedicated solely to the art of documentary production and innovation. Set over an intensive six-week period, this educational atelier will allow students to explore newfound possibilities and approaches towards creating nonfiction content through various production modes, technologies and dissemination platforms. Partnering with Concordia University, the Doc Lab will allow members of the Emerson community to forge new creative, cultural and professional ties in Montreal, the second largest French speaking city on the planet. Conceived as a documentary laboratory, students will be introduced to a broad range of documentary work across a wide spectrum of technologies such as sing channel video, interactive documentary, virtual reality as well as 360 spherical and immersive cinema.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising seniors and graduate students.
- Recommended for Visual & Media Arts students.
- Limited to 8 students.
- Application Period: TBD
Total of 4 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in ONE of the following courses:
- VM 420 - Topics in Media Arts: Practice (Prerequisites: Junior standing and completion of VM 242, or VM 377, or VM 471)
- VM 604 - Topics in Media Production (Prerequisites: Advanced standing or completion of VM 613)
- Create, edit, and screen a documentary film project utilizing premier resources based at Concordia University.
- Participate in workshops focused on immersive/spherical productions and virtual reality.
- Hear a guest speakers working in experimental nonfiction and interactive documentary production.
- Get a crash course in survival French language.
- Take in a sky-high view of Montreal from the top of Mount Royal then dive back into streets with a city tour.
Get a first-hand look at Canadian film history through the Cinematheque Quebecoise.
- Learn about national film distribution at a visit to the National Film Board of Canada.
- Enjoy a weekend excursion to Quebec City, the capital of Quebec province.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: TBD
Included in Program Fee
- Tuition (4 credits)
- Registration Fee
- Airport pick-up/drop-off
- Local transportation pass
- Farewell dinner
Not Included in Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from Montreal (Est. $600)
- Most meals and incidental or personal expenses
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is.
For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.