Imagining Jamaica: Visual & Multimedia Storytelling
*Students should arrange to arrive in Jamaica on the morning of the program start date.
With the support of the Caribbean School of Media & Communication at the University of The West Indies, this program will offer students a boot-camp style visual storytelling experience that will cover photography, data visualization, audio slideshows, and storyboarding influenced by Jamaican history and culture and supported by the Jamaican media environment.
Program Eligibility & Admission
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors.
- Recommended for Journalism students and Latin American & Latinx Studies minors, but open to all majors and minors.
This program is offered for a total of 4 credits. Students will be required to be enrolled by Emerson College in the following course:
- JR XXX - Final course information pending
- Build your skills as a backpack visual storyteller.
- Collaborate with a cohort of Emerson students from diverse majors.
- Leave with a professional product to add to your portfolio.
- Immerse in the culture and history of Jamaica.
- Visit local media outlets such as newspapers, broadcast studios, and schools of communication.
- Explore the Bob Marley Museum, located in the legendary reggae musician’s home in Kingston.
- Embark on the University of the West Indies Campus Heritage Tour, filled with landmarks detailing the history of Jamaica from the days of enslavement to its significance in the sugar cane industry.
- Enjoy other potential day excursions outside of Mona.
Cost & Inclusions
Program Fee: TBD
Included in the Program Fee
- Tuition (4 credits)
- Registration Fee
- Housing (flat-style shared residences)
- Some shared meals
- Included excursions, company visits, and guest speakers
- Local transportation in Mona and Kingston
Not Included in the Program Fee
- Round-trip airfare to/from Norman Manley Int’l Airport (Est. $800)
- Airport transfers
- Some independent meals
- Incidental or personal expenses
- Passports (or visas, if required)
- International Health Insurance*
*May be waived by those with alternate comparable insurance.
*Health Insurance Coverage: Participants must have an insurance plan that provides coverage while abroad. If you feel your current insurance is not adequate, please research a plan that is.
For information on Supplemental Health Plans, please visit our Health Insurance Requirements page.
Subject to change.