The Writing for Film and Television (MFA) program has the following application deadlines for Fall 2020:
- Priority decision: Feb. 1
- Rolling through: May 1
After submitting your application, you will receive an email from Emerson College with an Admission ID. Please use your username and password to log in and check the status of your application. Please keep in mind that processing your supporting credentials may take up to 7 to 10 business days.
All applicants are required to submit the following credentials. The GRE/GMAT is not required for this program.
For application review, unofficial transcripts will suffice and can be uploaded directly to your application prior to submission. Official, signed transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended must be sent to Emerson College prior to matriculation. If the transcript is for less than 8 credits, we don't require it to be sent. Degrees completed outside the U.S. will require an evaluation (please see the International Applicants tab for more information).
Send official, signed transcripts to the following address prior to matriculation:
Emerson College Graduate Admission Processing Center
PO Box 870
Randolph, MA 02368-0870
If you are using a mailing or shipping service that does not allow for delivery to a PO Box, you may use our alternate application mailing address of Emerson College Graduate Admission, 120 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02116.
Letters of Recommendation
We require three letters of recommendation from persons best able to assess academic and professional qualifications, including motivations and goals. The preferred method of submission is directly through the application site, as it ensures the most efficient processing of your application. Electronic submissions coming directly from the applicant will not be accepted.
There is one required essay for this program, which can be submitted online with your application. The prompt for the Fall 2020 application is:
Please write an essay that addresses the points below. We are looking for a cohesive essay that helps us understand you and your goals as a writer.
- Why you are interested in an MFA degree in Writing for Film and Television?
- What do you expect from the program?
- How do you expect an MFA degree to advance your writing goals and interests?
- How long have you been writing and in what genres?
- What experience do you have in working independently?
Essay length: 3 pages, double-spaced (750 words)
Required Writing Sample
Choose from one of the following options:
- Screenwriting: 15 pages maximum of screenwriting. This can include short screenplays or an excerpt from a longer film or television script. Script samples must be accompanied by loglines.
- Prose: 15 double-spaced pages maximum of novel excerpts, short stories, or chapters of fiction or creative nonfiction writing
- Combination of Screenwriting and Prose: A maximum of 10 pages of screenwriting and 5 pages of fiction or creative nonfiction (15 total pages maximum).
- Poetry: Poetry may be submitted as an optional supplementary sample (3 poems maximum). If submitting poetry, you must also submit another sample from the list above.
Include your professional and educational history.
Emerson College cannot accept applications from international students for the low-residency program at this time, as the College is not able to issue I-20s appropriate for participation in this program.