VMA students have a choice to apply to the Photography BFA Option as part of the existing BFA in Media Arts Production. This offering has all the same requirements as the traditional BFA with the main difference being that students accepted into this program will be required to enroll in two consecutive semesters of VM 492 Photo Practicum for their capstone experience rather than the traditional BFA Production Workshop. BFA seats are limited, so applications into the program will be reviewed by committee and selected based on the merit of the highest quality work/proposals. Accepted students will have the opportunity to concentrate on a single photographically based project over the course of an entire academic year, and receive $500 in VMA funding to complete their work.
Any VMA student who is eligible to apply to the traditional BFA is also eligible to apply under the Photography BFA Option. The same traditional BFA completion requirements of 16 additional production credits, made up of +8 cr. for a capstone (VM 492), and more than 8 credits of advanced production courses, will also remain in place for this option.
- Grade Point Average: 3.0 (is required to apply and must be maintained to continue in the program)
- Academic Standing: 64 credits completed (are required to apply as a VMA student with Junior standing)
- BFA Timing: Begin as a 2nd semester junior, or 1st semester senior (and apply in the prior semester)
- VM 492 Prerequisite: VM 365, or VM 366, or VM 369 (in order to enroll in VM 492 Photo Practicum)
- Online applications begin: August 25, 2021
- Deadline to apply: October 22, 2021
- Notification of application status: October 25, 2021
- Registration begins for Spring 2021: November 8, 2021
Preparing Your Application
Start with a short written proposal for a single project and a cohesive digital portfolio of your 20 best still images. Up to 10 minutes of video can be submitted, but only if it is relevant to your proposal. You should also prepare an initial budget of estimated costs for your proposed project.
How to Apply
You can apply using the following link:
Make sure you are logged in with your Emerson credentials at emerson.edu/user.