Undergraduate Admission

F-1 Student Visa Transfer

If you hold an F-1 student visa and you are transferring to Emerson College from another U.S. college or university, you must follow the procedures outlined below.

1.) Notify your current school

Let your current institution know that you wish to transfer to Emerson College. Ask the International Student Advisor/Designated School Official (DSO) there to:

  • Enter into SEVIS your intent to transfer to Emerson College. Please note that in SEVIS, our campus appears as “Emerson College.”
  • Enter into SEVIS a "transfer release date."

Please note that we must wait until after the "transfer release date" is entered into SEVIS by your current school before we can issue your new I-20.

2.) Send us a Transfer Verification Form

If we do not already have on file copies of your pertinent immigration-related documents, please send copies of those as well. We cannot issue a new I-20 to you until we have the following documents in our office:

You can send official documents to:

Emerson College Undergraduate
Admission Processing Center
PO Box 880
Randolph, MA 02368-0880

3.) Report to Emerson’s Office of International Student Affairs (OISA)

You must report to Emerson’s Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) located at 216 Tremont Street, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02116 no later than 15 days after the start date on your Emerson College I-20 and request that they complete the transfer process. Failure to report to OISA within this period is a violation of your non-immigrant status. Bring your new Emerson College I-20 with you.

4.) Have a representative endorse your I-20

If all your documents are in order, an OISA-designated school official will process your transfer by endorsing page 1 of your Emerson College-issued I-20. The advisor will return the I-20 to you. This becomes your current, valid I-20; keep it together with all with all of your previous I-20s. The advisor will notify the Bureau of Citizenship and
Immigration Services (BCIS) of your transfer to Emerson College through SEVIS.

Please note that failure to follow these instructions may result in a violation of your immigration status