International Student Affairs

Social Security Administration

Students who intend to work on or off campus must obtain a Social Security number before they can be listed on their employer's payroll. The Social Security Administration only issues Social Security numbers to F-1 students who actually have on-campus jobs or have commitments to on- or off-campus jobs beginning in the immediate future.

If you receive authorization for employment or for practical training, you must appear in person to the nearest Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security card. You will need to bring the following items with you:

  • your passport
  • your I-20 form
  • your I-94 departure record
  • a letter of support from the international student advisor

Your Social Security card will then be mailed to you within 10 working days.

For more information, call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 or locate the nearest Social Security Administration Office »

Social Security card
Students who intend to work must obtain a Social Security number.