Housing & Dining
What to Bring
Visit our Hall Services page to learn more about the amenities and services available in our residence halls. Below is a handy checklist of what to bring to campus:
- Bedding: extra-long twin sheet sets, blankets, pillows, and pillowcases
- Bedrisers (commercially manufactured only—cinder blocks or bricks are NOT permitted)
- Broom and/or small vacuum
- Cleaning supplies: including toilet paper if you live in a suite
- Ethernet cable
- Lamps—desk, floor etc. Note that halogen bulbs are NOT permitted
- Laundry detergent
- Paperwork: health insurance and financial aid forms, social security card, etc.
- Personal care items: tissues, Band-Aids, pain relievers, cold medicine, Q-Tips
- Plates, cups, utensils (washable or disposable)
- Posters and decorations
- Rain gear: It rains frequently in Boston, so be sure to bring an umbrella, raincoat, and rain boots
- Removable 3M poster tape or removable adhesive squares
- Shower caddy and shower shoes
- Small tool kit
- Sewing kit
- Trash cans and bags
- Wide range of clothing: The weather changes frequently in Boston so be sure to bring everything from shorts and flip-flops to mittens and your ski jacket.
What NOT to Bring
Remember you will have limited amount of space in which to live, so think carefully about what you will and will not need! In addition, we ask you to NOT bring the following items:
- Air conditioners
- Coffee pots
- George Foreman grills or other grilling appliances
- Halogen and sun lamps
- Hot pots and plates
- Popcorn poppers
- Toaster ovens
Frequently Asked Questions about What to Pack
Can I bring a microwave and/or refrigerator?
You are permitted to have a refrigerator and microwave as long as they meet the following allowances and restrictions:
- Microwaves up to, but not greater than, 700 watts of cooking power are permitted.
- Refrigerator/freezer combinations no larger than 3.1 cubic feet total are permitted.
Are single-serve coffee makers, such as a Keurig, allowed?
Yes! Starting in Fall 2013, single-serve coffee makers will be allowed.
What size are the beds at Emerson?
All of our beds are XL Twin (36" x 80").
Can I bring my own furniture?
Due to fire safety concerns, students are not permitted to bring upholstered furniture into the residence halls.
Can I bring curtains and/or tapestries to hang in my room?
All windows are outfitted with window shades. Curtains as well as tapestries and other wall hangings are not permitted.
Lee Pelton with Orientation Leaders