Housing Selection Process
For Rising Juniors
You are considered a rising junior if you:
- Started as a new student in fall 2013 or spring 2014 or
- Started as a transfer student (any class) student in spring 2014 and are living on campus in spring 2015.
- Started as a transfer (sophomore or above) student in fall 2014 or spring 2015 and are living on campus in spring 2015
Housing Selection Process and You
As a Rising Junior:
- If you are attending classes on the Boston campus for fall 2014 and spring 2015, you are not required to live on campus.
- If you don’t want to live on campus, you don’t need to do anything.
- If you do want to live on campus, refer to Rising Junior Housing Lottery process.
If you are planning to attend an External Program for either fall 2015 or spring 2016, you have the option to live on campus the opposite semester if you want to do so.
- If you don’t want to live on the Boston campus the opposite semester of your External Program semester, you are not required to do so. You do not need to do anything.
If you do want to live on campus the opposite semester of your External Program semester:
- If you will be in Boston for fall 2015, you will need to pay a $300 deposit in order to be granted housing.
- If you will be in Boston for spring 2016, you will not participate in the fall 2015 Housing Selection Process. Instead, you will be contacted by the Office of Housing and Residence Life in early fall 2015 about preferences for where you wish to live in spring 2016.
If you will be in Boston for the full 2015–2016 academic year, and you want to live on campus, you can submit a housing deposit on eCommon between Monday, February 2 and Friday, February13. This deposit secures your spot on the Housing Waitlist. If an authorized user of a Rising Junior's account wishes to pay the deposit on his/her behalf but cannot access eCommon, please go to http://interactive.emerson.edu/housingdepositpayment.
Based on the number of spaces available, OHRL will randomly select that number of rising juniors who will be offered housing. You will receive notification on Wednesday, February 18 to let you know if you have been offered housing. If you are offered housing, you must then determine if you wish to accept the housing offer:
- If you do accept, submit your online Housing Application.
If you choose not to accept, reply to your housing offer email no later than 5:00 pm EST on Friday, April 17, indicating that you decline the offer of on-campus housing.
- If you decline by 5:00 pm on Friday, March 20, you will receive a refund of your $300 deposit.
- If you decline after 5:00 pm on Friday, March 20, but before you select a room in Housing Selection (no later than Friday, April 17), OR if you do not submit your housing application, you will be released from housing, but will lose your $300 deposit.
- Once you select your housing in the Housing Selection Process, you cannot decline the offer of on-campus housing. You have entered into a binding contract.
- If you submitted your application but do not select your housing during the Housing Selection Process and you do not officially decline your space by Friday, April 17, a space will be assigned to you and you will not be permitted to decline the offer of on-campus housing. After Friday, April 17, if you no longer want to live in on-campus housing, you will need to submit a Food and Housing Board Release Request.
If you were not selected to receive on-campus housing, but believe that you have a financial hardship that would otherwise prohibit you from continuing at Emerson College, you can submit a Financial Appeals Request. Your request must be received by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, March 4. Students will be notified of the status of their request by Tuesday March 10. Students who are granted on-campus housing through the Financial Appeals Request must complete their online housing application by Friday, March 20.
Housing Selection Process Timeline for Rising Juniors
For Rising Juniors Taking Classes on the Boston Campus for 2015–2016:
January 26-February 13
|Consider your Housing Options for next year; do you want to apply for housing?|
February 2–February 13
|If you want to participate in the Rising Junior Housing Lottery, you must submit your $300 deposit on eCommon during this time.|
|February 18||Housing Selection emails sent to students Emerson email address. This email will inform you whether you have been offered on-campus housing for 2015–2016. See appropriate section below for remaining applicable timeline.|
|March 4||Deadline to submit Financial Appeals Request if you were not selected to live on campus and believe that you have a financial hardship that would otherwise prohibit you from attending Emerson College if living off campus.|
If offered housing through Rising Junior Housing Lottery or Due to External Program Participation:
February 18-March 20
|Determine whether you wish to accept the on-campus housing offer. See "Rising Junior Housing Lottery Process" for details.|
If you accept the Offer of On-Campus Housing:
|February 18-March 20||Fill out online Housing Application.|
|March 30||You will receive an email regarding your status in Suite Selection, Learning Community Selection, Gender Neutral Housing Selection, and/or Open Room Selection.|
|April 1||You will receive an email indicating your randomly selected date and time for you to choose your room.|
|April 7-April 17||Housing Selection Process takes place.|
If Not Offered Housing
You will stay on the On-Campus Housing Waitlist until you tell OHRL you no longer wish to be on the waitlist or the waitlist period is over at the end of add/drop period for fall 2015.
Housing Selection Timeline
OHRL will send out emails to students’ Emerson email addresses:
- For Rising Sophomores, this letter will confirm for you that you are a rising sophomore and under the residency requirement.
- For Rising Juniors, this letter will inform you whether you have been offered housing or not.
February 18- March 20
Submit your online Housing Application if you are under the residency requirement (Rising Sophomores) or offered housing through the Rising Junior Housing Lottery or the Financial Appeals Process (Rising Juniors). Review deadline to submit your application by 11:59 pm on Friday, March 6.
Deadline to submit Financial Appeal Request.
March 4-March 10
Financial Appeals Committee reviews requests and shares decisions with students.