New York Connection
New York Connection | March 15, 2013
The purpose of the New York Connection is to assist undergraduate students with their career planning by:
- Gathering information regarding professional life in New York City
- Exploring interests, values, and skills and connecting them to the workforce
- Hearing real-life accounts of "life at work"
- Exposing students to a variety of employers in the communication and arts fields
- Learning about the career paths and responsibilities of Emerson College alumni
- Allowing for formal and informal conversations and networking between students and alumni
Buses will leave for New York at 7:00 am and will leave New York to return to Boston by 8:30 pm.
Costs for this trip will be $50.00 (NONREFUNDABLE). Payment must be submitted upon registration by credit card.
Career Services will offer New York Connection Prep Sessions before the trip. Students who registered through eHire will be invited to join the prep session.
Students will be able to register for the New York Connection on Tuesday, February 26th at 7:00am. Registration is completed through eHire. Please log onto eHire prior to the registration date to ensure your login information is correct and you have familiarized yourself with the database. All site visits will be listed on eHire under separate tracks. To register for the event, you will need to complete the following:
- Log onto eHire with your username and password. Please remember your username is in an email format.
- Click on Career Events on the toolbar at the top of the page.
- In the Career Event Name field, type in New York Connection.
- Each track will show up as a separate event.
- Click on the track and click the Register for Event button.
- Fill out the required information and click on the Save button at the bottom of the page. Please click the save button only once to ensure your credit card will not be charged multiple times.
Please Note: Your registration will not be considered complete unless you pay at the time of registration. Our staff will remove your name from the event RSVP if you have not paid. CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS ONLY.
Your registration will not be considered complete until Career Services receives your Risk and Release form, which can be completed at Career Services (216 Tremont Street, 6th floor). Please complete this form as soon as you have received confirmation of your registration. The Risk and Release form is due no later than Friday, March 1st.
The Transportation Waiver is completed online on eHire at the time of registration. Please read each option carefully. You may change your transportation option by emailing Lisa Chang at email@example.com with your name, ID#, the track you registered for, and your updated choice of transportation. All requests must be received by March 11th.
Essentials for the Trip
- It will be a long day, so plan to dress comfortably and wear good walking shoes. However, you will be meeting with professionals and want to make a good impression. Consider your wardrobe carefully. Business casual attire is recommended.
- Please bring $25–30 for extra expenses. Breakfast and substantial appetizers for dinner will be provided. However, lunch is not included, so please bring money to purchase lunch. You may be taking public transportation to travel between site visits, so please bring money to cover “in-city” transportation fares. As you may be returning to Boston after the T stops running, please make sure you have enough money for cab fare or have arranged other means of transportation.
- This event is designed for career exploration and networking. Alumni and friends have opened their offices and studios to provide an educational experience. Please respect professional boundaries and do not ask for jobs.
- It might be good to have a few copies of your resume, but there is no expectation that employers will ask for it. Some sites may discuss their organizations’ own internship programs. If the subject comes up, it may be appropriate to share your resume directly. There also may be opportunities to gather feedback to make your resume stronger.
- Please be tactful in your approach when asking for business cards. The networking reception at the end of the day is designed specifically to share this type of information.
The bus will load along Tremont Street in front of the doors to the Little Building. If you miss the bus, it is your responsibility to find transportation to New York and to Boston.
eHire connects students and alumni with internships, jobs, and resources that meet a variety of career needs in the fields of the arts and communication. Log in »
Call our Front Desk at 617-824-8586 for the fastest and easiest way to make an appointment.