Rules and Policies
Everyone is expected to practice proper Fitness Center etiquette.
General Rules and Regulations
The following general rules and regulations apply to all users of the Fitness Center:
- All members must complete and sign a Membership Enrollment Form prior to using the Fitness Center. Only full-time students, full-time and part-time faculty/staff may enroll for a Fitness Center membership. Part-time faculty/staff membership dues are $50 per semester. Full-time student and faculty/staff membership is free.
- Only members may use the Fitness Center; guests are not allowed.
- Members must sign in with their Emerson ID cards upon entering the Fitness Center.
- Proper fitness attire is required. Street clothes (jeans, khakis, etc.) are not allowed. Appropriate shirts and shoes must be worn at all times in fitness areas. Sandals and flip-flops are not appropriate footwear.
Everyone is expected to practice proper Fitness Center etiquette. Examples include:
- Returning all equipment to the proper location after each use (re-rack weights).
- Wiping down all pads and surfaces after working out.
- Sharing equipment. If you are doing multiple sets, allow others to use the equipment between your sets. Do not rest on equipment between sets, and adhere to the time limits of specified equipment set by the Fitness Center.
- Practicing personal hygiene by using deodorants and wearing clean workout clothes.
- Avoiding the Fitness Center if you feel ill or believe you have a contagious illness.
- Not using profanity or shouting.
- Using the equipment properly. If you need instruction, please contact a staff member.
- Not interrupting personal trainers who are working one-on-one with a member.
- Being on time for scheduled classes and leaving the Fitness Center before closing time.
- All furniture and equipment should be used properly and left in good condition for others.
- Lockers are for day use only, unless you have an agreement with the Fitness Center to rent out a locker. Designated lockers may be rented on a first-come, first-served basis, per semester. For more information on locker use, see a Fitness Center staff member.
- Fitness Center employees are not responsible for personal property that is lost, stolen, or damaged due to vandalism or any other cause.
- No food will be consumed in the Fitness Center other than in locker rooms or designated eating areas. Beverages must be in spill-proof containers.
- Posted or regulated time limits for using the Fitness Center’s facilities and equipment will be respected. In periods of heavy use, staff members may ask you to limit your time in a particular area to allow other members to use the facilities and equipment.
Weight Lifting and Exercise Equipment Areas
The following rules and regulations apply to users of the Fitness Center’s weight lifting and exercise equipment areas:
- For safety reasons, bags, jackets, and coats are not allowed in the weight lifting or exercise equipment areas. All items should be placed in lockers.
- There is a maximum of 30 minutes per session on any cardiovascular equipment during peak hours. Multiple sets on the circuit machines are prohibited during peak hours: 6:30–8:00 am, 11:00 am–1:00 pm, and 4:00–8:00 pm.
- Each piece of equipment used must be wiped clean after use.
- Users must return bars/weights to their proper place/racks immediately after use.
- Weight belts are not allowed on exercise equipment if the belt buckle makes contact with the equipment upholstery.
- Keep hands and feet clear of moving parts while machine is in use. Never put hands or feet under weight stacks. Place hands and feet only on the hand grips and foot pads provided.
- Do not operate equipment if it has loose or damaged parts. Report repair needs to the staff. Do not make repairs yourself.
- Do not drop weight stacks, plates, dumbbells, or other free weight equipment.
These rules are designed to make the Fitness Center a safe and enjoyable place for all members. Violations of these rules can result in suspension or termination of your Fitness Center membership.
These rules may be modified or amended at any time without prior notice.
Location & Hours
Location: Little Building,
80 Boylston Street, Lower Level
FALL 2014 HOURS
BEGIN AUGUST 25th
Monday: 7:00 am–9:00 pm
Tuesday: 7:00 am–9:00 pm
Wednesday: 7:00 am–9:00 pm
Thursday: 7:00 am–9:00 pm
Friday: 7:00 am–7:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Sunday: 11:00 am-7:00 pm
SUMMER 2014 HOURS
Monday: 7:00 am–7:00 pm
Tuesday: 7:00 am–7:00 pm
Wednesday: 7:00 am–7:00 pm
Thursday: 7:00 am–7:00 pm
Friday: 7:00 am–6:00 pm