Office of Student Employment

International Students

International students may work through Emerson Employment if they meet the criteria listed below.

To obtain a job through Emerson Employment, international students must:

  • Be full-time students and maintain satisfactory academic progress while pursuing their degrees;
  • Be authorized to work in the United States;
  • Complete I-9, W-4, and F-1 forms (see Forms page for detailed information).

To obtain a Social Security Number, students must be hired by an on-campus department. Students and their supervisors will complete an F-1 Student Employment Certification Form (supervisors have these forms). Bring the form to the Office of International Student Affairs for the appropriate signature. Once the designated school official has signed the form, students should take the form to the Social Security Administration’s local office in downtown Boston. After turning in an application, it can take several weeks to receive a Social Security Number. Students cannot work until they receive an email from the student employment coordinator authorizing them to begin working.

For more information, visit the International Student Affairs page.