Academic Engagement & Community Action
Individual Service Opportunities
Interested in finding an off-campus volunteer opportunity? Here are a few resources to get you started.
- Browse local nonprofit organizations and volunteer/internship postings on Emerson’s e-Hire database.
- Contact the assistant director of Off-Campus Student Services to get connected with a local nonprofit or service project that aligns with your skills and interests.
- Boston Cares lists service opportunities on its website to connect volunteers with local nonprofits in need. You can also become a Boston Cares Project Leader, and organize and lead team-oriented volunteer opportunities throughout Greater Boston.
- Campus Compact advances the public purposes of colleges and universities by deepening their ability to improve community life and to educate students for civic and social responsibility.
- Do Something inspires, supports, and celebrates young people changing their world.
- Idealist connects people, organizations, and resources to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives.
- Imagine, Emerson’s student service organization, is partnering with Boston Cares to engage college students as volunteer leaders. Student Volunteer Leaders will go through training, then set up service projects for groups of volunteers.
- The MoveOn family of organizations brings real Americans back into the political process.
- The Participate America Foundation’s mission is to strengthen our democracy by mobilizing Americans for civic participation.
- People Make a Difference involves and engages people through meaningful, hands-on work that meets local needs by following a strong service ethic to: produce appreciable results while conserving recipients' limited resources, educate volunteers about broader issues, and bring people together to make a difference.
- The Points of Light Foundation & Volunteer Center National Network engages and mobilizes millions of volunteers who are helping solve serious social problems in thousands of communities.
- Volunteer Solutions matches individuals to volunteer opportunities in their communities.